Author Topic: Exclusionary search  (Read 327 times)

Offline 30west

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Exclusionary search
« on: August 13, 2023, 07:47:26 AM »
After having followed the directions to export keywords to a text file and reviewed it for “orphans” meaning files with one or no keywords, I would now like to search the database for any that I missed. For example, a sizable number of photos had only a “year” keyword and in my organization all files should have at least a year AND location.

So I would like to search all catalogs along the lines of   Keywords year and (not “”). To my thinking, this should mean “search for keywords containing a year value, but nothing else…meaning a single keyword.  When I try this search, I get no returns which could mean that all files now have at least two keywords OR my search is invalid.

I might be able to figure this out for a simple example, but the search format to return a positive value, but excluding other fields could have long term value. Thanks

Gary PM6+ latest build 2023/08/13 MacOS Ventura Apple Silicon M1

Offline 30west

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Exclusionary search
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2023, 06:52:18 PM »
For anyone interested...according to Camera Bits Tech support this feature is not available inside PM6+.  BUT. doing a text export of the desired fields to a text file can then be imported into a spreadsheet or other type of file for exploration. In my case I converted to a FileMaker Pro database file and it was easy to search for anything I was interested in.

In my catalog of just under 50k of photos, I DID find approximately 100 files that had only the "year" keyword. Using PM6+ to search for the files listed in the filmmaker search, it was easy to find them and added desired keywords. It was mentioned that having a keyword for the year could be redundant since exif data would show year captured, BUT a sizable number of files in my catalogs were scanned from film prints and show the dates scanned, not originally captured on film.

In my case, this was a one time need, but perhaps others have similar questions.