Author Topic: Fast ingest option  (Read 696 times)

Offline pdizzle

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Fast ingest option
« on: August 21, 2023, 08:18:48 PM »
Continued from another post I made: https://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=15803.msg77147

Perhaps it could be a toggle option between 'fast' mode and 'regular' mode with an explanation of the limitations.

A few ideas I have:
1a. Copy then process - Copy all the files off the camera card first, and then do metadata, renaming and variable operations once the files are on the desired storage

1b. Copy then Process with order of operations set by user - For example copy files, apply metadata, then rename.  Let the user set up a chain of actions to suit their workflow

2. Multi-Threaded - Depending on what options the user selects, it can use multiple threads if it doesn't require any serial operations

3. Kirk's idea of writing to memory first - maybe copy a few files to RAM, process and then send to final storage location

For me, I like using incremental ingest so I can have multiple days on the same card and import the delta each day.  Since I shoot two cameras, I'll have two cards to ingest but only 1 card reader.  So my personal workflow is using incremental ingest to import to a folder for the day from both cards, apply metadata once all cards are ingested and then rename the photos.  Having a fast ingest mode that basically just copies the RAW files and tracks them for incremental ingest would definitely speed up my workflow just based off of how fast windows file transfer can copy the file compared to PM without metadata and renaming enabled.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Fast ingest option
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2023, 07:14:37 AM »
How about simply: "Improve speed of ingest with network shares" ?

-Kirk

Offline pdizzle

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2023, 10:05:35 PM »
How about simply: "Improve speed of ingest with network shares" ?

While that was the primary experience that led me to making this feature request, a fast ingest option would still be beneficial when I use my laptop's local disks when I'm out and about.

My laptop has PCIe gen 4 nvmes and I did a test of windows copy vs PM ingest of the same amount of files.  Windows finished twice as fast and let me get to the next step in my workflow faster, which is applying metadata (I save the original file name in the metadata)and then renaming the photos.

In my case, options 1 and 2 would be beneficial to my workflow.  Particularly 1b because I could ingest multiple cards and then when the ingest is complete, PM could do the metadata and then renaming for me without my intervention.

Offline pdizzle

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2023, 03:56:54 PM »
Not sure if this would fall under a new feature request, but 1a and 1b could also be seen as rules based processing.  The user could set up a series of rules for different workflows to automate a few things and then just walk away for a bit.