Author Topic: Catalog: Filter by "Persons Shown"  (Read 741 times)

Offline Sven

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
Catalog: Filter by "Persons Shown"
« on: August 25, 2023, 07:02:47 AM »
Hi all,
following situation:
I am adding "persons shown" into the IPTC data in the format "LASTNAME, Firstname; LASTNAME2, Firstname2". PM is set to have the semicolon as seperator.

Once done I do a "scan to catalog" from the menu selecting the base directory of all the images.

Going to the organizer-view on the windows version or the catalog view on the mac, using the filter "IPTC => Persons Shown"
The expected result is to see the entries as LASTNAME, Firstname for each person I listed.
The initial result is (on the windows- and the mac version) that all lastnames and firstnames are shown individually. The assembly to the expected result is done only when all the meta-data is loaded by opening either the Lastname or the Firstname.

As you can see in the attaches screenshot: The filter shows my lastname only but in the my full name is set.

Is this an expected behaviour?

Sven
After 5 years of absence I restarted the photography.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Catalog: Filter by "Persons Shown"
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2023, 09:13:53 AM »
Sven,

As you can see in the attaches screenshot: The filter shows my lastname only but in the my full name is set.

Is this an expected behaviour?

I don't think so.  We'll have to investigate and get back to you.

-Kirk

Offline Bob Russell

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2023, 11:29:28 AM »
Hi Sven,

I was able to test your naming format for the Persons Shown field on both my Mac and PC test machines. When I use the Filter Tab -> IPTC Fields -> Persons Shown, I am not able to recreate the issue in your screen shot. While testing your configuration, I did notice a few duplicate entries for last names with an apostrophe. After closer inspection, the apostrophe characters were actually different. The solution was to use the Find and Replace utility. The Find field was set to use the name from one set of images with the fewest number. The Replace field was using the name from the other set with the most number of images. Once the operation was done, both sets were combined together.

I'm wondering if the same trick might work for your copy of Photo Mechanic. Click the entry in the Filter panel with just the last name. Open the IPTC Info panel for any of the images in this contact sheet. Copy the last name and any trailing text up to the next semi-colon separator, if there is one present. Paste this into the Find and Replace utility's Find field.   Next click the matching Last name, First name entry in the Filter panel. Open an IPTC Info dialog and copy the correct Last name, First name from the Persons Shown field.  Paste this into the Replace field in the Find and Replace dialog. Go back to the first contact sheet with just the Last name shown for the Persons Shown. Now use the Find and Replace utility, just updating the Persons Shown field.  I hope this helps.

Best regards,

--Bob
« Last Edit: August 28, 2023, 11:47:05 AM by Bob Russell »

Offline Sven

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2023, 04:44:09 PM »
Bob,
thanks for the detailed response.

To reproduce my issue:
- Open a folder with images in PM (not using the catalog)
- Add names (I used code replacement) to the IPTC
- Use "scan to catalog" for this specific folder
- Use the Filter as described

I will end up with the result in attachment 1.
Once I click on either the Last or the first name PM reads the metadata (again?) and assembles the name as it should look like (attachment 2). As you can see only 3 images are shown and so the meta data of only these 3 was read.
Once I zoomed out the preview pane all images are shown and the meta data is complete.

There is no need o search and replace any IPTC data

Offline Bob Russell

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2023, 02:50:42 PM »
Hi Sven,

Thank you for the step by step instructions. I am now able to recreate this refresh issue on my test machines. I am suspecting the problem lies somewhere within the Scan to Catalog utility. I used the Include items in Catalog option from the right-click menu for my initial tests, which should work as an alternate solution until we can fix this problem.

Best regards,

--Bob

Offline Sven

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2023, 05:25:17 AM »
Any updates here, Bob?

Offline Bob Russell

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2023, 12:26:10 PM »
Hi Sven,

I have recently filed a bug report on this issue but I have not seen any updates yet. I will let you know if any progress has been made in finding a solution to this issue.

Best regards,

--Bob