Author Topic: Keeping sort order in a contact sheet  (Read 439 times)

Offline DavidHoffmanuk

• View Profile
Keeping sort order in a contact sheet
« on: August 29, 2023, 11:21:58 AM »
I have a few hundred files with names that I need to change. Sorting by filename groups the files conveniently but I need to change the first part of the name so as soon as I change one it jumps to a different place in the sheet.

I'd like the files to remain in the same sort order as I work through them even though their name has changed. I thought that sorting by 'Arrangement' would do this but the files still move after a rename. Is there something I should be doing to 'lock' the sort order?

I can see a way using {seqn} in a spare field that I can sort by but that's a bit clunky.

David Hoffman

Offline MNeipris

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Keeping sort order in a contact sheet
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2023, 02:31:33 PM »
Sorting by Capture Time should let you rename while keeping the images in the same sort order.

Offline DavidHoffmanuk

• View Profile
Re: Keeping sort order in a contact sheet
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2023, 11:18:50 PM »
Sorting by Capture Time should let you rename while keeping the images in the same sort order.

These files are digitised images from transparencies & negs. There are several versions of most, made at different times so sorting by capture time doesn't group them in any helpful way. The filenames for each different image version are mostly similar which is why I need this to be the sort criterion.

Not relevant in this case but for some reason some/most of my jpg derivative files have the capture date but not the time so capture time sorting doesn't do much with these files. These jpg files are quite old & I suppose I must have missed a setting in P'shop back when they were made.

David