Author Topic: Very slow Photoshelter uploads from PM  (Read 731 times)

Offline neil@dg28.com

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Very slow Photoshelter uploads from PM
« on: September 04, 2023, 11:37:20 AM »
I use the Photoshelter uploader from within PM quite a bit and over the last few days I have had a lot of issues with ultra-slow transfers. I have a Mac Studio connected to a router via ethernet and my upload speeds for FTP and a few other things are averaging out at around 30 mbps and my service measure nearer to 40 when I measure it with the Ookla speed test app. Uploading to Photoshelter via PM is way slower - currently around 350 kbps. My MacBook Pro via wifi is better at around 1400 kbps but in the past both computers have been at least twice that speed from within PM.

I have spoken to my ISP and they are convinced that there is no issue with their service (and the speed test would appear to confirm that) so I am wondering whether I am making a basic mistake here. I have restarted computers and router several times, cleared caches and done everything that I can think of.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Very slow Photoshelter uploads from PM
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2023, 02:22:45 PM »
Neil,

For a problem like this, I suggest contacting our support folks at:

By email: support@camerabits.com

By phone: +1 503.547.2888

Hours: Mon-Fri, 9:00am-5:00pm [PST/PDT]

Offline neil@dg28.com

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2023, 07:25:30 AM »
Just wanted to thank everyone at Camera Bits for trying to help with this one. Photoshelter say "it wasn't us" and so do my internet service provider. I don't think that Camera Bits could have done any more to help and once again proved that they are a company that actually cares. Recent upload speeds have been Ok without being close to the theoretical maximum that I should be capable of getting.

A part from saying thank you for the support I just wanted to add that my JPG uploads are fine but TIFF uploads are wildly variable for speed. One day I will get to the bottom of this one!

Offline Andrew Wevers

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2024, 09:29:04 AM »
Hey Neil - Seeing this late but had to create an account to let you know that the photoshelter uploader is incredibly slow because of all the backend stuff they put in instead of having it just be clean FTP.
To get around this, go to your "upload methods" or "incoming FTP" if you are on brands, and create an FTP for whatever you want, IE "neil1" and direct it to the folder that you would like the FTP to upload into.

Then, Go into photomechanic and select "FTP" instead of photoshelter in the upload panel. Set it up with the credentials you just created. FTP would be ftp.photoshelter.com - Your username - Your password. You don't have to select root or destination folder, as it will upload to wherever you set it up on the photoshelter backend.

This is 8x as fast as the photoshelter uploader and will save you lots of time. I use it to archive all of my raws etc. The only issue is that you have to change the destination on the upload methods panel in photoshelter each time if you are uploading to a different album - but this is negligible compared to the speed you save.

I have attached screenshots so you can see.

Let me know if you have any questions!