Author Topic: embedded.jpg  (Read 402 times)

Offline tuxster

• Newcomer
  • Just an old man with a camera
    • View Profile
embedded.jpg
« on: October 23, 2023, 03:54:30 PM »
I don't know if I caused this but lately I am finding quite a few extra jpg files with the label "XXXXX_embedded.jpg" . I don't remember how they came to be but I do have the selection enabled under view "Combine Images". I did a search and found them in the catalog, picked one and went into finder and found it has a raw file with same same (w/o embedded). I don't think I exported them, as they are relatively small in file size ~238kb, when I export the file is usually large and does not contain the word "embedded".

I do share the library with LrC since August, as Capture one has priced me out of its life. Not sure where they came from but I do injest, keyword, move and rename files only though PM6+. LrC is for general edits only, but you have no choice but to import the files into LrC.

Anyway is it safe to delete these files ? Thoughts ?

Offline ahoward

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
Re: embedded.jpg
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2023, 04:27:03 PM »
"Combine Images simply pairs together a RAW and JPEG file of matching base name into a single thumbnail on the Contact Sheet, it doesn't create any new files.

With Photo Mechanic you need to be pretty explicit about doing something like creating a new file, it wouldn't be creating files like that at random. You can use it to Extract a JPEG Preview from a RAW file (from the Tools menu) but that still wouldn't add the word "embedded" to the extracted files name. The only way you'd get files like that is if you used the rename string "{filenamebase}_embedded" to save out these images from Photo Mechanic.

If you view this file in the Preview window, what is the "firmware" listed in the info panel? Perhaps that will show you what program created it. Maybe you've used "shotwell"?  https://askubuntu.com/questions/92555/what-are-these-embedded-jpg-files-that-shotwell-created

Offline tuxster

• Newcomer
  • Just an old man with a camera
    • View Profile
Re: embedded.jpg
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2023, 05:51:22 PM »
Hi,
I did what you asked and most of the files had camera information listed in the info as well as shot data. Not quite sure how these files (approx. 2260) files came to be. I did a search rounded them up and moved them into a separate Trash folder. I have since re-synced the Db and removed from the catalog the embedded files.

I have a backup in case i made a terrible mistake but so far all is good. Still really dont know how they were created.

MJ