Author Topic: Question regarding collections in PM Plus...  (Read 400 times)

Offline ps23Rick

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Question regarding collections in PM Plus...
« on: November 14, 2023, 09:12:10 PM »
I've not really played with PM Plus but am considering moving to Plus from 6 ... I saw collections and it seems like it would be really useful to me.  One question though.  If I create a bunch of collections of different types of photos for instance, can I export a single collection to a folder?

For example, say I create a collection of camping photos spanning 4-5 years, where the underlying originals are in a completely different hierarchical layout on the computer (perhaps by year or something).. I'd like to be able to take a collection and do an export of whatever photos are in it and that could become an album in a web-based photo album app such as Immich, PhotoPrism or others for family that is distant.  I just thought I'd ask if that's possible with collections.

I guess I consider collections as a method to view a hierarchical system of images in a variety of "logical" views that don't require having duplicate images..

Thx!!

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Question regarding collections in PM Plus...
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2023, 10:37:13 PM »
I've not really played with PM Plus but am considering moving to Plus from 6 ... I saw collections and it seems like it would be really useful to me.  One question though.  If I create a bunch of collections of different types of photos for instance, can I export a single collection to a folder?

For example, say I create a collection of camping photos spanning 4-5 years, where the underlying originals are in a completely different hierarchical layout on the computer (perhaps by year or something).. I'd like to be able to take a collection and do an export of whatever photos are in it and that could become an album in a web-based photo album app such as Immich, PhotoPrism or others for family that is distant.  I just thought I'd ask if that's possible with collections.

I guess I consider collections as a method to view a hierarchical system of images in a variety of "logical" views that don't require having duplicate images..

Yes, you've got a complete understanding of how Collections work in Photo Mechanic Plus.

-Kirk

Offline PeterM

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2023, 02:07:57 AM »
A suggestion would be, once the collections are created, and periodically if they are updated, to tag or keyword the photos with the name of the collection, e.g. CampingPhotos. That way, if PM6+ isn't available for whatever reason, the effort put in wouldn't have to be redone.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2023, 08:30:00 PM by PeterM »

Offline ps23Rick

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2023, 11:47:37 AM »
Thanks guys!  Much appreciated!