Author Topic: Background actions  (Read 429 times)

Offline benjamin.blix

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Background actions
« on: December 14, 2023, 11:00:22 PM »
I think it would be great to have the "Add to Catalog" action be background-able, since this can be slow particularly when scanning through photos on a NAS.

I think there's a few other actions, such as Moving and setting keywords, that I'd also like to be able to run in the background. Or maybe, if there is a UI dependency on these tasks, it could be doable to lock particular tabs instead of the entire app while non-background actions complete?

It's possible this is already under consideration, and anyway still loving my first few months of photo mechanic  :D

Offline ahoward

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
Re: Background actions
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2023, 01:32:50 PM »
I think it would be great to have the "Add to Catalog" action be background-able, since this can be slow particularly when scanning through photos on a NAS.
Could you use "Scan to Catalog" on the folder you are trying to add? Or are you you selectively adding individual items to the catalog from the Contact Sheet?

Offline benjamin.blix

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Background actions
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2024, 12:35:24 AM »
Oh good suggestion! That solves the issue for me most of the time (occasionally I do scan a large subset of a single contact sheet into a catalog, so could still be handy to have selective scanning run in the background too).

Do you have a similar suggestion to run Apply Metadata Template in the background?