Author Topic: Live Ingest  (Read 863 times)

Offline Boggy

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Live Ingest
« on: December 20, 2023, 03:46:21 PM »
Hi, I've an issue with my Live Ingest workflow.
I'm running Photo Mechanic Version 6.0, build 6890 (ffcbb4c) on a MacBook Air M2 (2022) Sonoma 14.2 (23C64)
I have Live Ingest watching a folder on my desktop. Which I can send to remotely from camera, adds all my details and moves to my games folder.
I also ingest my cards to this watched folder, now when I do this the Live Ingest seems to only move 16 or 35 or 33 images, this seems to be random, and then stops.
All the card is ingested into the watched folder but Live Ingest fails to move them........
I have looked at my old settings on my old MacBook Pro, PM5 and all seem to be the same. The only difference seems to be the cache sizes are greater on the new machine, thought it might have been a cache size restricting the amount of images being moved. But no.

Hopefully added the support data,

Going to be something really simple, please point me to it
Thanks,
Shaun

Offline ahoward

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
Re: Live Ingest
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2023, 10:12:45 AM »
First, what is the purpose of Ingesting into a folder and then doing a Live Ingest from that?

Please send us a screenshot of your Ingest window and your Live Ingest window. Please also provide information about what file types are involved and what camera is creating these files.

Please also remove Ingest from the process and let me know if the issue still occurs.

It would probably be more effective if you gave our support line a call. We are out for the week between Christmas and New years, so if I can't find a resolution for you by tomorrow, it will be another week before I'll be able to help you further. We'll be able to cover a lot more ground in a phone call. Our support line is +1-503-547-2800

Offline Boggy

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2023, 05:11:29 PM »
Thanks ahoward,
I have a live folder on my desktop which I can send to direct from my Canon 1DX mkI, mkII and my R3 using EOS Utilities.
Live Ingest is watching this and adds all the IPTC, file name etc. and moves to my game folder.
This bit works, so when ingesting my cards I just point the ingest to my Live folder and let it carry on, guess it's laziness.
Files being moved are jpeg from all 3 bodies and some RAW from the 1DX mkI
Please also remove Ingest from the process and let me know if the issue still occurs.
Not sure I follow. Plug a card in, the Ingest screen pops up and I click start.
All images are loaded, in the folder the ingest screen is pointing at.
No rush, I can work around this, just my old set up worked and copying my settings over to new hardware and software it hasn't.

Offline ahoward

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2023, 09:33:10 AM »
Not sure I follow. Plug a card in, the Ingest screen pops up and I click start.

Skip using the standard Ingest so we can isolate the issue. Just do this part:
I have a live folder on my desktop which I can send to direct from my Canon 1DX mkI, mkII and my R3 using EOS Utilities.

Does the problem still happen or is the standard Ingest somehow a necessary condition for the problem with Live Ingest?

This bit works, so when ingesting my cards I just point the ingest to my Live folder and let it carry on, guess it's laziness.
If you want to be lazy (and you should!) then you should make use of Photo Mechanic's variables so you don't need to type out the date every time you want to put your images in a folder with the date of the game.

Your rename field should be:
csp_bou_lut_sb_{day0}{month0}{year4}_(seqn}

Your primary destination should be: ~/Desktop/
Your "copy photos" dropdown should be: Into folder with name
and the Folder name should be:
{datesort} Bournemouth vs. Luton

Replace team names in rename and folder name fields as necessary.

Offline Boggy

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2023, 04:31:41 AM »
Will get on with trialing everything, and return in the New Year
Thanks for the help so far

Offline dusty

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2023, 04:23:21 PM »
Glad I saw this before posting.  I have exactly the same issue with Live Ingest.  It's only recently started happening, maybe the last 6 weeks or so.

In my case, I shoot Nikon Z9s and use the Nikon utility to wirelessly sync images to folders which I monitor with Live Sync.

Today, one of the folders being monitored just stopped transferring images to Photo Mechanic after about 50 photos.  The cameras were still sending images to the folders but PM was not collecting them from one of the folders.  It was still collecting fine from a folder for a second body.

No matter what I tried, I could not get PM to move the photos so I gave up, turned off Live Ingest and moved the photos manually.

What did I try to fix this?

Restarted PM completely ( real pain as I lost the record of what images I had uploaded)
Cleared all the caches in PM. 
Stopped live Ingest, removed folders, re-added and started again.

If you would prefer to deal with this issue separate from the thread I have intruded on, please say.  I just wanted to log that I have what looks like the same issue as this. 

Offline pjs

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2024, 05:39:59 AM »
I have a similar workflow to yours, for example, in ice hockey. With my handheld cameras, I use the card reader and the regular "Ingest" dialogue. With my remote cameras, I copy the images using either the internet browser or the EOS Utility into a "Live" folder. The "Live" folder is also open in PhotoMechanic. When a new image from my remote camera is downloaded into the "Live" folder, I switch the contact sheet from the main folder to the "Live" folder in PM, select the new shot, and then copy it to the main folder using "Ingest from Selection." It works flawlessly – the image is renamed, has the caption, etc. Perhaps it's worth a try for you as well, using "Ingest from Selection" instead of "Live Ingest."

Offline dusty

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2024, 06:39:23 AM »
Yeah, that is my fallback option.  I would prefer live ingest not to fail though...

Offline Boggy

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2024, 02:03:45 PM »
@ahoward
Removed the normal Ingest.
Trialing in my lounge, Canon R3 connected with EOS Utility to my laptop.
Live Ingest watching the "Live" folder the camera is sending too on my desktop.
All transfers fine, renames, adds all the data etc, moves to my test folder but........
I've "Open contact sheets during ingest" ticked on the Live Ingest screen.
This doesn't happen.
So send one image, into Live folder. Photomechanic "Live Ingest" does it's stuff and then moves to my test folder. test folder contact sheet doesn't open.
Manually open the test folder contact sheet and the image is there.
Leave this contact sheet open, send 5 more images over. Live Ingest still does its thing but the contact sheet doesn't refresh showing the recently added new images.
If I open the original single image to add a description or send it to Photoshop when I come back to Photomechanic on the open contact sheet it has refreshed and shows all the images.
Have sat here and transferred 25 images from the camera into the watched live folder, some in batches of 5 and 7 some in one's and two's and each time the Live Ingest has worked, transferring them into my test folder renamed with all metadata added, it just hasn't automatically refreshed the contact sheet showing that these images have arrived.

Having thought about it, I was sure the normal ingest automatically refreshes, so I Ingested a card direct into this test folder, adding the same data etc. Did this with two cards, both times I've done this the contact sheet has automatically refreshed showing the added images.

I then sent another image direct from camera to the watched folder and the Live Ingest did its thing, moving the image to the test folder but it didn't refresh the test folder contact sheet showing this added image.

So the Live Ingest works as it should.
Just the contact sheet opening and automatically refreshing the open contact sheet when new images arrive isn't happening.

Offline ahoward

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2024, 05:31:58 PM »
It sounds like we are now dealing with a completely different issue. If you go back to the original workflow of Ingesting into the live ingest source folder, does the original problem come back?

When either kind of Ingest opens a Contact Sheet, that contact sheet should refresh as new images come in. If you open the Contact Sheet manually, then it's not going to refresh unless you do something to cause it to. In your case, "Rescan on resume" is probably enabled, and the contact sheet was rescanned when you switched back from another application.

I'm not able to reproduce the issue of the Contact Sheet not opening when I begin a live Ingest. You may want to try having Photo Mechanic reset its preferences. To do this, first back up your preferences. Then quit Photo Mechanic and go to Users/<YOUR USERNAME>/Library/Preferences/com.camerabits.PhotoMechanic

Rename this folder by appending the word "OLD" to the folder name and then start Photo Mechanic again and see if Live Ingest will open the Contact Sheet when it is set to do so. If it does, then import your preference file per steps 7-10 on the page linked above, and then see if the problem is fixed or if it returns.

Offline Boggy

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2024, 02:20:31 PM »
It sounds like we are now dealing with a completely different issue. If you go back to the original workflow of Ingesting into the live ingest source folder, does the original problem come back?

Yep, original problem is still there if I go back to my old workflow.

Will get on the reset preferences and report back,

Contact sheet is now automatically refreshing, showing all recently ingested images.

Brilliant, that's that bit sorted. Thanks ahoward.

Using my new workflow is there a way running the two Ingests that the file numbering {seqn} can be linked ?

« Last Edit: January 04, 2024, 03:36:38 PM by Boggy »