Author Topic: Dragging PM selections to Lightroom  (Read 1292 times)

Offline MikeyMike

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Dragging PM selections to Lightroom
« on: January 08, 2024, 08:46:37 PM »
Hi All!

Just curious if anyone else has experienced this at all - occasionally Lightroom won't load/show the photos that I drag from PM. Then I'll need to go back to PM and select & drag a second time, which usually works as normal.

I'm thinking it's more likely an issue with LR than PM, but thought I'd ask here before getting too deep into trying to figure it out  :-[

FWIW I'm on a Macbook Pro with the latest version of LR13 and latest version of PM.

Cheers!
Mike

Offline ahoward

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
Re: Dragging PM selections to Lightroom
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2024, 02:04:21 PM »
I've found that the best way to get this to work every single time is to open the Import window in Lightroom and then drag the images into that. In the past I've also found that if you aren't dragging into the import module and just dragging into the main LR window, Lighroom's behavior can also vary depending on the kind of file and if there is an associated XMP file (for example, if the items dragged were not all of one file type, like a combination of CR2 and CR3 raw files seemed to trip it up). I'm not sure why doing things a second time would matter, but as far as I know, but if you're not changing the selection of items on the contact sheet, then Photo Mechanic isn't doing anything different with respect to what happens when you do a drag and drop.

Offline Stenis

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2024, 06:00:38 AM »
Isn´t it more efficient to just making a selection PM, then right click it and use "Edit selected photos with ..." the application (might be anyone or Lightroom after initial configuration in "Edit - Preferences - Lauching". Dragging between several windows isn´t necessary when using "Edit .... with.."

Offline ahoward

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2024, 09:10:45 AM »
Isn´t it more efficient to just making a selection PM, then right click it and use "Edit selected photos with ..." the application (might be anyone or Lightroom after initial configuration in "Edit - Preferences - Lauching". Dragging between several windows isn´t necessary when using "Edit .... with.."
Because in the past (and possibly still) in some cases, doing so results in only the import window opening, and not Lightroom pre-selecting the files that Photo Mechanic sent to it for importing. Drag and drop to the Import window has been the way that seems to work the most consistently.

Offline MikeyMike

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2024, 04:39:54 PM »
Thanks for the feedback guys  :) glad to know it isn't just me! The Import window idea is a good workaround, but it's also going to mean I have to remember to switch to LR first and open Import every time. Why Adobe... :'(

I've a support session with Adobe coming up, I don't have high hopes for any actual fix from them but will post back if anything useful comes of it!

Offline Stenis

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2024, 02:30:05 PM »
Because in the past (and possibly still) in some cases, doing so results in only the import window opening, and not Lightroom pre-selecting the files that Photo Mechanic sent to it for importing. Drag and drop to the Import window has been the way that seems to work the most consistently.

We had a similar problem using PhotoMechanic together with DXO Photolab. That was solved by Kirk Baker. Maybe you could talk to him.
There is a slight difference using Lightroom together with PM since Lightroom, at least to my knowledge has been catalog centric - not by default synching with XMP-data in the files. Photolab works directly on the folders and files and do not need to "Import" or "Ingest" the images before they can be edited which is an advantage despite even Photolab since then even have it's Picture Library.

Still a couple of Photolab versions ago this integration ceased to work properly. Of some reason Photolab have two EDIT-versions - one for single image and one for multiimages selections and it was the later that failed. When this happened it still worked to drag and drop. After Kirk fixed the problem it works as it should even with a multi selection but you have to configure in PM which application to "Edit" with.