Author Topic: How to import PM preview settings to LRC?  (Read 510 times)

Offline Keystone4132

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
How to import PM preview settings to LRC?
« on: February 09, 2024, 08:22:18 AM »
I would like to start my LRC process with the settings Photo Mechanic applies to each RAW file to produce the PM Preview. I assume these settings are stored in the .XMP. However when I import files with LRC, I only get the unaltered RAW file.

How do I import or replicate the PM settings, in LRC?

My current LRC setup does not apply any Develop Settings or Metadata during Import.

Thanks

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: How to import PM preview settings to LRC?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2024, 08:33:46 AM »
I would like to start my LRC process with the settings Photo Mechanic applies to each RAW file to produce the PM Preview. I assume these settings are stored in the .XMP. However when I import files with LRC, I only get the unaltered RAW file.

Unless you have RAW rendering turned on in PM, PM is using the embedded preview from the RAW file for its previews.  It is not being rendered by PM.  What program did you use to adjust the look of your RAW file?

How do I import or replicate the PM settings, in LRC?

PM doesn't make RAW adjustments.  There are no PM settings to replicate.

-Kirk

Offline Keystone4132

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2024, 10:35:42 AM »
All I know is that the preview look in PM is different/better than the first look (no development adj) in LRC after import. I thought the PM preview was essentially a JPG

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2024, 10:57:58 AM »
All I know is that the preview look in PM is different/better than the first look (no development adj) in LRC after import. I thought the PM preview was essentially a JPG

Yes, a JPEG contained within the RAW file produced by the camera.  If you shoot RAW+JPEG and you have PM set to combine images, the JPEG will be used for the pair.

Have a look at this:

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/help/photo-video-import-options.html#specify_initial_previews_when_importing

I think you'll want "embedded and sidecar" selected in the LRC Build Preview drop down menu.

-Kirk

Offline Keystone4132

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2024, 01:18:06 PM »
Thank you. I will take a look at this setting in LR