Author Topic: Catalog previews only load quickly when files are offline  (Read 248 times)

Offline benjamin.blix

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Catalog previews only load quickly when files are offline
« on: February 16, 2024, 07:56:49 PM »
I'm running Photo Mechanic Plus Version 6.0, build 6890 (ffcbb4c); on macOS Sonoma Version 14.2.1 (23C71)

I've noticed that when my NAS is connected, catalog previews are very slow to load; however, they load instantly when I unmount my NAS volume which holds the originals. My catalog is stored on my local disk. I understand NASes are infinitely slow compared to local disk, but I'm not sure why having the NAS connected would impact how quickly my previews load.

Currently, opening a catalog folder loads the previews instantly when the original files are offline, but gets stuck in the loading screen (image attached) for about 30 seconds if the NAS volume is mounted. As well, any time the PMP window loses and regains focus it reverts to the empty loading screen and slowly refreshes the previews once again.

Is there a setting I can enable to make sure that when browsing a catalog, the previews always load quickly even when the files are online, and then slowly refresh using the source files in the background?

Or if not, I'd love to see this be addressed in the next release of PMP :)

I know similar NAS performance issues have been discussed at least once here (https://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=15255.msg76834#msg76834), but I'm not necessarily looking for an improvement to how files are loaded from a NAS; rather I'm just hoping that the PMP UI can be optimized to still load the previews as quickly as it does when the NAS is unconnected.

Offline ahoward

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
Re: Catalog previews only load quickly when files are offline
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2024, 11:34:50 AM »
When the files are online, it loads them from the source. Preferring the proxy is something we’d like to add in the future, we just haven’t been able to implement it yet.

Offline benjamin.blix

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Catalog previews only load quickly when files are offline
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2024, 11:30:32 PM »
Thanks for the info! Eagerly awaiting that implementation ;D