Author Topic: Cataloging  (Read 310 times)

Offline MP Doran

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Cataloging
« on: February 18, 2024, 07:28:33 AM »
Hi, i ingest to my MacBook and back up to external HD. Then I make my selection and then  ‘edit with’ LRC. After I edit I wish to export files to my main storage drives; (not the ones I invest to).
My question is, does the PM Plus  catalog know and remember where these files are after LRC exports them.  Another question would be what is the simplest way to keep PM Plus catalog updated when using LRC. Any other tips to keep PMPlus and LRC catalogs in sync.
Regards
MPD

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Cataloging
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2024, 11:41:39 AM »
My question is, does the PM Plus  catalog know and remember where these files are after LRC exports them.

I'd have to know what 'LRC exports them' means.  Do the original files (known to PM Plus) get moved?  Are these new files and the original files are left untouched?

Another question would be what is the simplest way to keep PM Plus catalog updated when using LRC. Any other tips to keep PMPlus and LRC catalogs in sync.

They're two separate products with two different databases.  Things you do in one won't automatically happen in the other.  You'll have to repeat your operations: update paths/add items/remove items accordingly.

-Kirk

Offline MP Doran

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2024, 02:14:33 PM »
LRC = Lightroom classic. It’s a photo editing program from Adobe and exporting is: “In Lightroom Classic, you don't save photos in the traditional sense. Instead, you export photos. You can export photos in various file formats suitable for a wide range of uses. For example, you can: Export photos as JPEGs to share online or as TIFFs for a print publication. Adobe 20 Dec 2023”.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2024, 02:32:36 PM »
LRC = Lightroom classic. It’s a photo editing program from Adobe and exporting is: “In Lightroom Classic, you don't save photos in the traditional sense. Instead, you export photos. You can export photos in various file formats suitable for a wide range of uses. For example, you can: Export photos as JPEGs to share online or as TIFFs for a print publication. Adobe 20 Dec 2023”.

Sounds like those files would be new files.  Photo Mechanic Plus would have to be informed about the new files existence.  You can manually add them, or you can use either Scan to Catalog or Catalog Sync.

https://docs.camerabits.com/support/solutions/articles/48001157106-catalog-menu-explained
https://docs.camerabits.com/support/solutions/articles/48001157493-scan-to-catalog
https://docs.camerabits.com/support/solutions/articles/48001161171-catalog-sync

HTH,

-Kirk