Author Topic: Bug or by design? Files appear double in catalog  (Read 196 times)

Offline rienvanham

• View Profile
Bug or by design? Files appear double in catalog
« on: February 26, 2024, 03:37:14 AM »
Hi,

I don't now if I made a (stupid) error but I made a change in an external program with the effect that the extension of a lot of files changed from uppercase to lowercase. In Photo Mechanic Plus I added the files with the new extension to the catalog and now they appear two times! One with lowercase extension and one with uppercase extension.

Is this a bug or is this by design? If the extension changes by an external program that alle files appear twice?

Thanks on forehand,

Rien.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Bug or by design? Files appear double in catalog
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2024, 09:15:22 AM »
Rien,

I don't now if I made a (stupid) error but I made a change in an external program with the effect that the extension of a lot of files changed from uppercase to lowercase. In Photo Mechanic Plus I added the files with the new extension to the catalog and now they appear two times! One with lowercase extension and one with uppercase extension.

Is this a bug or is this by design? If the extension changes by an external program that alle files appear twice?

If the catalog database didn't preserve case, it wouldn't work on case-sensitive file systems.  If you have the images already in the catalog, why did you add them again after the case of the extension changed?  Were you trying to update the items in the catalog to match your extension change?

-Kirk

Offline rienvanham

• View Profile
Re: Bug or by design? Files appear double in catalog
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2024, 01:25:14 AM »
Hi Kirk,

I tried to remember what I did... I changed the setting in "Preferences -> Files -> File extensions" to "Use case of source file when possible....".

I have 2 trees:
1: "Original files": (not actually original, added cropping 16*9 to the files and added metadata);
2: "Final files": Files from "Original files" with alle metadata and cropped (used: File -> Save Photo as...)

After changing the setting of the file extension I saved the files again.

Thanks for your answer; I already repaired my catalog.