Author Topic: Questions - New and Evaluating Photo Mechanic  (Read 617 times)

Offline greg2024

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Questions - New and Evaluating Photo Mechanic
« on: March 03, 2024, 01:18:31 PM »
My first impression of Photo Mechanic is favorable, but I'm so new to the software I need some assistance to get over a couple of key hurdles. I'm using the 30 day evaluation Photo Mechanics Plus on Mac to determine if it would work for me.

1. My primary purpose is metadata key wording, both entry and searching. I can't determine whether the base version or the plus version is required. Does the base version have the same searching capabilities as the plus version? I like the ease and speed in fast browsing with keywords. This is for my home use, so the ease is important if other family members need to browse a life's worth of photos. Bridge still could be an option if I created a large list of smart collections.

2. I've used structured keywords across my photo library. I have been using Bridge and have exported my keyword file. After making several attempts I haven't figured out how to import a keyword file from Bridge. Apparently I need detailed instructions as I've read folks are able to do this, but have been unsuccessful. I've gone to the structured keyword keyword panel, then tried copy and paste in a keyword list. I really am at a loss here. I was able to save those key words from the note pad screen, but not able to load them into the structure. Perhaps it's a limitation of the evaluation version. Please help here as this is a showstopper for me.

3. I a bit concerned about the talk of licensing changing. I appreciate the cost of software development because that was my business and life for many years so I am willing to pay reasonable costs. I would go with a subscription, but it has to be not more than Adobe, which I left for that reason. Perpetual might be an option, but the operating system updates are so frequent, the prospect of purchasing a new version often is a concern. Those with history of Photo Mechanic might have a perspective on what kinds of OS updates have been problematic requiring a software update.  Perpetual license at $320 is a quite a bit over the top if it would be required every year. Thoughts on licensing?

4. Software support is critical as we never know when the hardware and/or operating system becomes obsolete and is updated. Photo Mechanic has been around for a long time, since the name is familiar from my long term use of photography software. Is there a long term plan of succession for the company? I've seen so many businesses leave exit when their original owner decides to retire. It might not be a huge issue, because stored information  looks to be done per well established standards.

Offline Max Lemesh

• View Profile
Re: Questions - New and Evaluating Photo Mechanic
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2024, 08:54:11 AM »
You better look at some of the Jeff Vogan's videos on PM, to fully understand the scope of what you can do. And then with that knowledge you'll find a working scenario where that might be useful.

In spite of all the things we might not like about PM and wish it was better in certain aspects, there is no competition that does everything PM does

Offline greg2024

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2024, 09:53:06 PM »
Thanks for the reference to Jeff Vogan's videos. That started me down a path to get some answers.

1. PM Plus is the right product for my use. This is the best solution for hierarchal key wording that I've seen. I have a fairly decent keyword tree, but this approach to structured key wording takes it to another level. It could help me improve my keyword trees.  I might be able to modify existing keyword assignments to add more detail into older photos while keeping repetitive work to a managable level. Bridge works as a basic tool but not like Photo Mechanic. A next step is to investigate which of the automation tools could reduce the effort with that endeavor.

2. Load works well to import a Bridge keyword export. It wasn't obvious until I saw it used.

3. I will play with PM more and decide when it makes sense to buy. I would like to see the subscription vs perpetual pricing mode which I assume is coming soon.

4. Photo Mechanic is so useful it looks like a worthy candidate for my photography budget. The 30 day trial  might be enough to set the hook and have me buy in. Kudos to the software development team. My one suggestion is to make the user interface more intuitive, but not at the expense of the excellent functionality and performance.

Offline greg2024

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2024, 12:59:29 PM »
The more I use and learn Photo Mechanic Plus the more convinced I am that it's a valuable tool worth the subscription rate. Just the Browse capability in the Plus mode has exposed errors that I've made over time in my key word entries and missing keywords in my keyword tree. Over the decades I've migrated my photo library across several image management approaches and picked up errors using Lightroom, Daminion, iMatch and Bridge on Windows and Mac. This is the first time that key word errors have quickly stood out with easy corrections. Metadata keywords in Browse mode is a very useful capability, especially as changes immediately show up in the browse panel.

Offline ahoward

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2024, 05:26:25 PM »
Hi Greg, sorry I didn't get back to you on this thread initially, but it seemed like you answered your own questions before I was able to. Glad you are finding the product to be a good investment for your use case, and happy to answer any lingering questions that you may have.

Offline C-F

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2024, 01:33:45 PM »
Hi,
keywords, you might also check out Carl Seibert's Youtube channel and his blog.
Very comprehensive how-to's in metadata, key wording, and functionality of PM.
Hope that helps a bit.