Author Topic: Separating jpeg's and mp4 files into separate folders in one ingest?  (Read 497 times)

Offline MRB

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Greetings,
I'm new to PM and have figured out most requirements for most of my needs except separating file types.  My camera stores photos and videos in the same folder and I intend to use the incremental ingest after each day of my upcoming trip.  Is there a way PM can write jpeg files to one folder and mp4 files to another - preferably under the same job name folders such as tripname_date_photos/tripname_date_video?.  I know I can separate them into different folders and run two ingests - but would like a more streamlined option if possible.

Thanks,
Mark

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Mark,

I'm new to PM and have figured out most requirements for most of my needs except separating file types.  My camera stores photos and videos in the same folder and I intend to use the incremental ingest after each day of my upcoming trip.  Is there a way PM can write jpeg files to one folder and mp4 files to another - preferably under the same job name folders such as tripname_date_photos/tripname_date_video?.  I know I can separate them into different folders and run two ingests - but would like a more streamlined option if possible.

You could use the {mediatype} variable which will evaluate to 'still' for images, and 'video' for video/movie files.  If you want to customize it further, you could use Code Replacement to translate the words (still, video) to another word or phrase of your choosing.

https://docs.camerabits.com/support/solutions/articles/48000358438-list-of-photo-mechanic-variables
https://docs.camerabits.com/support/solutions/articles/48000223660-introduction-to-code-replacements-in-photo-mechanic

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline Max Lemesh

• View Profile
Did exactly that yesterday with {type} variable in ingest or copy window.

Folders are named in this manner for each file type

JPEG → JPEG
Canon CR3 → CCR3
Sony ARW → SARW
MP4 → MPG4

--

there is also {mtyp} that would return a Media Type, but that only sorts them to STILL and VIDEO, and does not separate Jpegs from RAWs

Offline Max Lemesh

• View Profile
To continue with your full question, the solution could look like

{datesort}-{jobname}-{type} to get folders like
20240325-TripToPlace-CCR3
20240325-TripToPlace-MPG4

or alternatively
{datesort}-{jobname}-{mtyp} to get folders like

20240325-TripToPlace-STILL (for all the photos)
20240325-TripToPlace-VIDEO (for videos)

Offline MRB

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Thank you all! It didn't occur to me that I could use a variable in the destination folder name. 

Offline MRB

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Greetings,

I used the ingest settings shown in the attachment that resulted in one destination with the literal "{jobname)_{mtyp}" for the folder name?

Offline MRB

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
For whatever reason, it's working as expected now using either mtyp or type .

Thanks again for your help!
Mark

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Greetings,

I used the ingest settings shown in the attachment that resulted in one destination with the literal "{jobname)_{mtyp}" for the folder name?

"{jobname)_{mtyp}" -> "{jobname}_{mtyp}"

Change the closing parenthesis character ')' to a closing curly brace '}'

-Kirk

Offline MRB

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Jeez .... thank you Kirk!
-Mark

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Mark,

Jeez .... thank you Kirk!

You're welcome.  Another tip: you can use the "Variables..." button that appears in most dialogs (the ones that have the ability to evaluate them) to view the variables list.  Double-clicking on one will paste the variable into the active text field.  Makes it harder to make mistakes.

-Kirk

Offline MRB

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Separating jpeg's and mp4 files into separate folders in one ingest?
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2024, 01:56:50 PM »
Yes, the use of variables combined with code replacements is great!

Thanks,
Mark