Author Topic: Infrared  (Read 219 times)

Offline stevemoorevale

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Infrared
« on: April 14, 2024, 09:45:51 AM »
Hi. I've just imported some photos i took today on my infrared converted camera. In the field i set my camera to shoot black and white because i generally prefer black and white infrared although i can revert to colour later if preferred. Photomechanic thumbnails all show up correctly as black and white and so does the full size preview when i open the image but after a few seconds it then resets itself back to the colour version., if it is displaying the embedded jpeg which has a black and white picture style (shooting canon) shouldn't this stay black and white when i open it in the preview window?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Infrared
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2024, 09:56:26 AM »
Steve,

Do you have RAW rendering (via the Adobe DNGConverter) turned on?  If so, I expect that when it renders the image, the preview it produces is in color.  You can turn the RAW rendering off and the embedded preview will be used instead.

-Kirk

Offline stevemoorevale

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2024, 10:14:58 AM »
Thanks for the reply Kirk. Ironically i switched RAW Rendering on only a few days ago as i was fed up with having adobes DNGs not render properly inside of PM (i don't have many DNGs but the ones i do have never rendered properly). I don't shoot much infrared so maybe if i know i'll be culling such shots i can temporarily turn it off.

Thanks again.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2024, 10:36:05 AM »
Steve,

Thanks for the reply Kirk. Ironically i switched RAW Rendering on only a few days ago as i was fed up with having adobes DNGs not render properly inside of PM (i don't have many DNGs but the ones i do have never rendered properly). I don't shoot much infrared so maybe if i know i'll be culling such shots i can temporarily turn it off.

You can use the Adobe DNGConverter to update the previews in the few DNGs that have the wrong preview.  Once the preview is updated, PM will continue to use the updated preview.

-Kirk

Offline stevemoorevale

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2024, 11:22:33 AM »
Would i do that via the Tool menu and Convert RAW to DNG?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2024, 12:14:23 PM »
Steve,

Would i do that via the Tool menu and Convert RAW to DNG?

You could, yes.  But if you have a bunch in a folder, you're better off using the Adobe DNG Converter on a folder at a time.

-Kirk