Author Topic: Info column scrolling issue  (Read 138 times)

Offline bazography

• View Profile
Info column scrolling issue
« on: April 16, 2024, 12:57:40 PM »
Photo Mechanic Plus Version 6.0, build 7102 (796dd4a)
macOS 13.6.6

I have a fair bit of info text and need to scroll down to see it all. I often scroll down to look at a particular camera setting, then I’ll move from one image to the next to compare settings. I can’t do that any more as there seems to be and issue with the Info column (Info window?... or whatever it's called... see screenshot). When I move to the next image, the info text jumps position (scrolls up or down by itself) and I have to scroll again to find the metadata I was looking at. How far and where it jumps to seems to depend on the position it started from. Sometimes the jumps are big and someimes small, sometime up sometimes down. After it jumps the first time, it won’t change again as I cycle through images. But if I again scroll to a different position manually, it will again jump to a new position. This is not a random issue, it happens every time.

Also, sometimes when I scroll it is not smooth. The text will stop scrolling and just jerk up and down very rapidly (I think the technical term is "freak out"!) until I stop and try again. This started at the same time as the above issue. This one seems to happen randomly, but it's frequent.

I’ve only just noticed this issue, although I’ve been on a bit of a break lately. Perhaps it was the last update? But this is now the 4th issue I've found directly related to scrolling in various windows, so maybe there’s a broader issue at play? I reported a Catalog Sync window scrolling issue a few days ago, plus...

Another one I just noticed: If I highlight an image in a contact sheet and select “Copy/Move”, the contact sheet will jump position when the "Copy/Move" is complete, and place the highlighted image in the top row of the contact sheet. At least it doesn’t scroll very far and the highlighted image it is still visible, but again this is odd behaviour that never used to happen.

There’s also a Favourites scrolling issue I reported quite a long time ago but I never got a response, so I will post about that one again shortly as mabye they are all related.

Offline ahoward

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
Re: Info column scrolling issue
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2024, 03:04:17 PM »
I've reproduced the info panel jumping issue. I had to switch to Ventura to get the problem to happen, it didn't happen on Sonoma as far as I can tell. Newer builds of Photo Mechanic are being build on a newer version of Apple's SDK, and we may still be seeing some side effects of that.

There’s also a Favourites scrolling issue I reported quite a long time ago but I never got a response, so I will post about that one again shortly as mabye they are all related.

We do our best to respond to everything, but once I click on a thread, it marks it as read; if I don't respond to it right there, its easy for me to forget about a thread here and there. If you believe you are encountering a bug that you want us to fix, its really easiest for us if you email support@camerabits.com, because things are much easier to track through our ticket system than through the forum.

Offline bazography

• View Profile
Re: Info column scrolling issue
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2024, 09:38:38 PM »
I've reproduced the info panel jumping issue. I had to switch to Ventura to get the problem to happen, it didn't happen on Sonoma as far as I can tell. Newer builds of Photo Mechanic are being build on a newer version of Apple's SDK, and we may still be seeing some side effects of that.

I should probably update to Sonoma... I tend to lag behind the OS releases these days. Some 3rd party software companies are extremely slow to update and/or confirm compatibility, and by the time I've figured out if all my software is compatible, Apple has released yet another new OS. It's exhausting trying to keep up.

We do our best to respond to everything, but once I click on a thread, it marks it as read; if I don't respond to it right there, its easy for me to forget about a thread here and there.

Camera Bits is still 100 times better than most software companies when it comes to responding to customers, so no worries!