Author Topic: HEIF Please  (Read 1359 times)

Offline flyingpoint

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
HEIF Please
« on: June 28, 2024, 03:05:30 PM »
These new HEIF files from Sony and others are fantastic.  Better color, smaller file sizes and all-around awesome.  The only reason I'm not using them as part of my standard sports workflow is PM.  PM handles RAW and JPEGs much faster and I'd love to see PM handle HEIF files with the same speed.

Offline ahoward

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
Re: HEIF Please
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2024, 04:02:59 PM »
The only reason I'm not using them as part of my standard sports workflow is PM.  PM handles RAW and JPEGs much faster and I'd love to see PM handle HEIF files with the same speed.

In the beta released yesterday, one of the Improvements in that build is optimizations to a few file formats, HEIF being one of them. Rendering these files will never be as fast as JPEGs: they are a more complex file format than JPEG is and thus requires more work from your computer to render them. However, performance with these files should be much improved in this new build. It looks like you began a trial of the new version of Photo Mechanic today, so I would encourage you to give the beta a whack, as we are looking for as much feedback as possible.

Offline flyingpoint

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2024, 03:13:40 AM »
I literally posted that request in the hope that HEIFs got some attention in the beta!  I’ll give it a shot this week.  Thanks for the update.

Offline Kevin M. Cox

• PM 6 (7102) | macOS 14.5
    • View Profile
    • Kevin M. Cox | Photojournalist
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2024, 12:30:17 PM »
Rendering these files will never be as fast as JPEGs: they are a more complex file format than JPEG is and thus requires more work from your computer to render them.

Traditionally disk speed has been cited as the most limiting factor in PM performance. Is HEIF rendering speed an area where faster processors (e.g. M3 Max vs. M1) will actually start to matter?
Kevin M. Cox | Photojournalist
https://www.instagram.com/kevin.m.cox/

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2024, 09:11:26 PM »
Kevin,

Rendering these files will never be as fast as JPEGs: they are a more complex file format than JPEG is and thus requires more work from your computer to render them.

Traditionally disk speed has been cited as the most limiting factor in PM performance. Is HEIF rendering speed an area where faster processors (e.g. M3 Max vs. M1) will actually start to matter?

Yes, that's correct.

-Kirk

Offline Kevin M. Cox

• PM 6 (7102) | macOS 14.5
    • View Profile
    • Kevin M. Cox | Photojournalist
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2024, 09:31:22 PM »
Thanks Kirk!
Kevin M. Cox | Photojournalist
https://www.instagram.com/kevin.m.cox/