Author Topic: Problem with Photo Mechanic  (Read 700 times)

Offline joner

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Problem with Photo Mechanic
« on: July 25, 2024, 09:18:50 AM »
Just joined the forum as hoping for some help with an issue.

Am running the latest version of PM on Win10. I use an external HDD to ingest and then select photos. I then move them to LR.

All was well then after the sub started, PM goes into 'not responding' mode, crashing in the background if clicking on another window, selecting a folder or doing anything that is different from a previous action.

Once it has stabilised again (sometimes this happens by itself after minutes have gone by, sometimes I have to restart it) I can go back to rating photos, selecting, sorting etc.

While on the free trial it was fine, now the payment process has started it is a real problem.

I can't use an internal HDD or an SSD if anyone suggests that is required, I need to work with what I have and as it was fine before this presumably isn't a factor. If it is I'll cancel and uninstall without worrying about fixing the 'problem' so good to know that.

PM has sped things up when it works but the hanging, crashing, crashing again, inability to click on another window at all thing is a very poor experience and it's simply not worth the gain at present. It's miserable to use to be frank.

Any help welcome before I have cancel and uninstall.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Problem with Photo Mechanic
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2024, 10:48:12 AM »
Just joined the forum as hoping for some help with an issue.

Am running the latest version of PM on Win10. I use an external HDD to ingest and then select photos. I then move them to LR.

All was well then after the sub started, PM goes into 'not responding' mode, crashing in the background if clicking on another window, selecting a folder or doing anything that is different from a previous action.

Once it has stabilised again (sometimes this happens by itself after minutes have gone by, sometimes I have to restart it) I can go back to rating photos, selecting, sorting etc.

While on the free trial it was fine, now the payment process has started it is a real problem.

I can't use an internal HDD or an SSD if anyone suggests that is required, I need to work with what I have and as it was fine before this presumably isn't a factor. If it is I'll cancel and uninstall without worrying about fixing the 'problem' so good to know that.

PM has sped things up when it works but the hanging, crashing, crashing again, inability to click on another window at all thing is a very poor experience and it's simply not worth the gain at present. It's miserable to use to be frank.

Any help welcome before I have cancel and uninstall.

Is the Bug Splat crash reporter appearing when you relaunch Photo Mechanic, and if so, are you filing crash reports?

-Kirk

Offline joner

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2024, 11:05:08 AM »
Hi thanks for the reply. No there is no dialogue beyond an auto report to Microsoft.

Offline ahoward

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2024, 11:14:25 AM »
It sounds like Photo Mechanic's default behavior of Rescanning all open Contact Sheets when switching back to it from a different application is causing it to hang while it is performing that task.

Depending on how many contact sheets you have open, how many files are in the folders that those Contact Sheets are open to, and the speed of the devices storing those folders, this process can take some time. To disable this feature, you can go to Photo Mechanic's Preferences, and in the Contact Sheet section, disable "Rescan on Resume". This will speed up switching back and forth between Photo Mechanic and other applications, but you'll need to do a manual Rescan if the contents of a folder have changed while you were outside of Photo Mechanic.

If you turn off this setting, does the problem stop happening?

Offline joner

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2024, 02:33:15 PM »
It has! That's excellent - thank you so much.

Now back to enjoying a more efficient workflow overall!

Appreciate the speedy help. Thanks.