Author Topic: Test Catalogs in PM Plus on remote storage - HOW???  (Read 679 times)

Offline cliffetzelphoto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • website
Test Catalogs in PM Plus on remote storage - HOW???
« on: July 29, 2024, 01:18:03 PM »
I am testing out setting up catalogs in PM Plus on remote storage.  Created the catalog from my desktop to both my Synology NAS and to iCloud.  Trying to figure out how to access the proxies from another device.  I open PM Plus and can browse to the folder where I created the remote test catalog but nothing shows up.  Should the images referenced in the test catalog also be on the remote storage?  I'm a little confused as to how to do this and maybe I'm missing some steps or not configured correctly - any advice on this ???
Cliff Etzel - Photographer, Storyteller, Humanitarian

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Test Catalogs in PM Plus on remote storage - HOW???
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2024, 03:17:08 PM »
Cliff,

I am testing out setting up catalogs in PM Plus on remote storage.  Created the catalog from my desktop to both my Synology NAS and to iCloud.  Trying to figure out how to access the proxies from another device.  I open PM Plus and can browse to the folder where I created the remote test catalog but nothing shows up.  Should the images referenced in the test catalog also be on the remote storage?  I'm a little confused as to how to do this and maybe I'm missing some steps or not configured correctly - any advice on this ???

I may be confused here too.  You're creating the actual catalog (database) on a NAS and on iCloud?

I would expect the performance, if it were to work, to be abysmal.  Best to keep the catalog on a fast local drive.

-Kirk

Offline cliffetzelphoto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • website
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2024, 08:32:15 AM »
Yes on the NAS and iCloud.  Sounds like this is a no go as the performance is as you said - Abysmal.  So for backing that up, is there a way to upload the database files using something like Carbon Copy Cloner and if so, where are those files located?  Is that something that's done when creating a new catalog and I specify where that is stored locally????
Cliff Etzel - Photographer, Storyteller, Humanitarian

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2024, 09:10:56 AM »
Cliff,

Yes on the NAS and iCloud.  Sounds like this is a no go as the performance is as you said - Abysmal.  So for backing that up, is there a way to upload the database files using something like Carbon Copy Cloner and if so, where are those files located?  Is that something that's done when creating a new catalog and I specify where that is stored locally????

Unless you go with the Default Catalog, you get to choose where it is stored.  It is a folder containing the database and the proxies by default.  You can simply copy the entire folder (once you quit Photo Mechanic Plus) to your choice of backup storage.  You also have the option of storing your proxies in an alternate location so that the catalog folder contains only the database files.

https://docs.camerabits.com/support/solutions/articles/48001179060-catalog-management

-Kirk