Author Topic: PM Plus VERY slow, even with all SSD setup  (Read 489 times)

Offline MindsEye

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
PM Plus VERY slow, even with all SSD setup
« on: August 05, 2024, 02:08:59 PM »
Hi All,
I have been trying to migrate from Lightroom, which I use mostly for database purposes, to PM Plus. I cataloged around 570K images/8 TB. I have the catalog on the internal 2TB SSD of my Mac Mini M1. The images are on a Thunderbolt 3 connected SSD RAID (OWC 4M2 w/12 TB NVMe).

There shouldn't be any big bottlenecks here but every time I try to view my whole catalog in the contact sheet, it takes 30 seconds for thumbnails to generate. If I check the reverse box, another 20-30 seconds. Seemingly no matter what I do, it takes a long time to redraw the thumbnails.

If I dare click outside of PM Plus, say to glance at an email, answer a text, or look at my notes, it starts all over- another 30 seconds before I can see thumbnails. I often get the message "Searching 1 catalog for: (?-i)path ^"/Volumes/..."
Quitting PM Plus down takes a long time also. I typically get a different warning dialog asking if I want to wait for it to quit or something to that effect.

Is this just the way PM Plus works? I've used the regular PM for ingesting, keywords/captions, culling for years because of its superior speed over LR.

But as far as database use goes, Lightroom is MUCH faster.

I'm hoping I'm just missing something obvious here as I would really like to dump Adobe.

Please advise. Guidance appreciated!

Thanks,
Joel