Author Topic: Do I need the PLUS version or not?  (Read 898 times)

Offline grumly6

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Do I need the PLUS version or not?
« on: August 30, 2024, 08:14:17 AM »
I’m sorry if my question seems stupid. I’m New here, testing Photomechanics during the 14 free days before the final decision.

I see that the main goal for people to use Photomechanics plus is to remove lightroom. But all the retouching part, color preset, object removal… and many other things are not in Photomechanics. So in my opinion, to manage large batch of pictures I need Photomechanics to sort the pictures, select the best, and do the renaming and tagging… but I still need Lightroom to batch process my pictures after.
If I understand, the PLUS version is more intended to people doing minimal things to pictures or ready to retouch  one picture at the time for example in Photoshop.

Here is my need :
I shoot for a Rythmic Gymnastic class. I have 280 gymnasts in many different categories.
I shoot A LOT so culling is very important.
Also I need to properly name and tag the group and people, so afterward I can retrieve all pictures of someone easily.

In competition I mainly crop and apply batch correction likke exposure, color, contrast.
In other shooting I will also remove some objetcs, and do some retouching in Photoshop with retouch4me plugin.

If my understanding is correct, I think I shloud to wth Photomechanics, the normal version and keep my Lightroom+Photoshop.
Photomechanics to full, ingest, tag, rename, and afterwards staying in the Adobe universe. For example I can use the Photomechanics tagging to help Lightroom to generate dynamite collection of a particularité group or gymnast.

I am correct or have you another idea?

Regards
Nicolas

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Do I need the PLUS version or not?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2024, 09:35:36 AM »
Nicolas,

The main difference between the two editions of Photo Mechanic is cataloging.  If you mostly want to acquire your images, sort and cull them, and you don't want or need to use the cataloging features, then go with the standard edition.

HTH,

-Kirk