Author Topic: PM 6 PLUS - Freezing when using filters  (Read 1056 times)

Offline erbro

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
PM 6 PLUS - Freezing when using filters
« on: September 13, 2024, 06:08:22 AM »
HEllo,

When I try to use filters, I click on "new". Automatically, the rating filter pop up.  If I try to change / add / select a filter, PM 6 PLUS is freezing.

When I restart PM, I delete the cache (in "Empty Cache" in Preferences).  After a few times of stopping PM, restarting PM, deleting the cache, sometimes I succeed at the end to use the filter.

It looks to maybe related to the "Preloading of the Metadata" Process. 

I use Build 7212 on Microsoft Windows 11 Professionnel Version   10.0.22631 Build 22631 on a x64 Base PC.
I also join the "Log".

The photos are stored on the local PC for a small part and on a NAS.

In this situation the filters are not usable at all.

Any ideas to solve this issue ?

Best regards
Eric Bromey

Offline ahoward

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
Re: PM 6 PLUS - Freezing when using filters
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2024, 10:50:31 AM »
Please go to the Catalog menu and choose "Catalog Management". Click the triangle next to the name of the catalog see the additional options, and then click the triangle next to "Maintenance" and see if any errors are listed there and it suggests doing any of the maintenance options, and do them if it does. If not, please let us know.

Offline Bob M

• View Profile
    • The McElroys of Point Alexander
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2024, 02:01:47 PM »
well ahoward knows his stuff and I'm just some guy on the internet, but ...

I have two catalogs.  One probably has in excess of 100,000 images while the other is a few thousand at most.  Filter gets completely constipated with the large database -- it doesn't freeze although it looks as though it does -- while filter works like a charm on the smaller database.  On that basis, I only use filter on the large database if I am feeling very patient.  (All of my files are local or on a serially connected external drive.)

Offline erbro

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2024, 08:13:26 AM »
Hello,

I  proceed as suggested.  I ran both "Optimize SQL" and Reintegrate Forgotten Catalog" but it is not solve this issue. Using the filters still leads to a freezing.

In attachment a picture of the maintenance screen, if of any help for you.

Best regards
Eric

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2024, 02:45:10 PM »
Eric,

When I try to use filters, I click on "new". Automatically, the rating filter pop up.  If I try to change / add / select a filter, PM 6 PLUS is freezing.

When I restart PM, I delete the cache (in "Empty Cache" in Preferences).  After a few times of stopping PM, restarting PM, deleting the cache, sometimes I succeed at the end to use the filter.

It looks to maybe related to the "Preloading of the Metadata" Process. 

The photos are stored on the local PC for a small part and on a NAS.

In this situation the filters are not usable at all.

Any ideas to solve this issue ?

The sort type that you're using requires all of the metadata to be loaded before the sort can commence.  Try using a filename sort instead and I expect the performance to improve.

-Kirk

Offline erbro

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2024, 11:53:47 PM »
Hello Kirk,

Your recommendation about the sorting by file name solved the issue of freezing.

Thank you
Best regards
Eric