Author Topic: How Do I add IPTC XMP info to NEF raw photos PM?  (Read 4690 times)

Offline jeffstev

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
How Do I add IPTC XMP info to NEF raw photos PM?
« on: July 27, 2007, 10:17:04 AM »
I am a new user with PM. I have started editing IPTC fields, working on NEF files and NEF/JPEG sometimes. I have added IPTC info via the stationery pad to a group of photos. However, I see I forgot to check the boxes to add info for certain fields that are written to the XMP format, such as copyright URL, contact address, etc. When I try to add these items by opening one image info and checking them off, then clicking OK, the image closes but when reopened the info has not been added. Also tried adding using the stationery pad to add that info, same problem, the edit does not take. What am I doing wrong? On a mac Intel tower, OSX 10.4.9.

Offline dennis

• President
  • Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: How Do I add IPTC XMP info to NEF raw photos PM?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2007, 11:24:17 AM »
The fields with a '*' next to them are XMP only, and so for these to stick you need to write XMP.  By default, PM will not embed XMP into RAW files (since this exposes a problem within Bridge/ACR).  But PM should be creating an XMP sidecar which contains all of the info you add, including the IPTC fields.  Of course not all programs (e.g. Capture NX) recognize XMP.

However, I think you are getting the IPTC Stationery Pad confused with the IPTC Info dialog (a common user "error").  The IPTC Stationery Pad (Command I) has checkboxes next to each field so that you can control which fields get applied to a group of photos, but this dialog doesn't show you the values inside of a photo itself.  Think of the Stationery Pad as a rubber stamp.

The IPTC Info dialog (from the "i" button on the thumbnail) shows you the IPTC/XMP that is actually stored in a particular photo.  This dialog looks similar but it doesn't have the checkboxes.  It will show you and let you edit the IPTC/XMP values for a particular photo (the IPTC Info dialog also has a thumbnail which is obviously not present in the IPTC Stationery Pad).

HTH.

--dennis