Author Topic: 4.4.3 unusably slow  (Read 8447 times)

Offline patrick

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • patrickbaldwin.com
4.4.3 unusably slow
« on: May 25, 2006, 04:47:11 PM »
Hi. I'm finding PM is taking about 45 minutes to ingest a 1gb card through a firewire reader on my 887 Mac PB and on my 773 G4 running 10.4.6. Obviously its useless like this but I don't know whats causing it. Previous to 10.4.6 it was wonderfully fast for me. I'm ingesting D2X Raws only, no combo Raw+jpeg. I have disc cache size of 300mb and set to reserve a 100mb on the volume plus cache is set to empty on quit. Generate high Q thumbnails is unchecked. Powerbook has max ram of 640mb. What am I missing because I cannot use PM at this glacial speed?
Regards. Patrick.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: 4.4.3 unusably slow
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2006, 05:33:28 PM »
Hi. I'm finding PM is taking about 45 minutes to ingest a 1gb card through a firewire reader on my 887 Mac PB and on my 773 G4 running 10.4.6. Obviously its useless like this but I don't know whats causing it. Previous to 10.4.6 it was wonderfully fast for me. I'm ingesting D2X Raws only, no combo Raw+jpeg. I have disc cache size of 300mb and set to reserve a 100mb on the volume plus cache is set to empty on quit. Generate high Q thumbnails is unchecked. Powerbook has max ram of 640mb. What am I missing because I cannot use PM at this glacial speed?

It's been fixed in 4.4.3.1.  It was the addition of RAW rendering using Apple's ImageIO, and even though you are not rendering RAW, we still make a call to ImageIO during Ingest to get the maximum rendered dimensions, and this is what is slowing things down.

In 4.4.3.1 there is a checkbox that enables/disables the entire RAW rendering system, and we've made improvements to use lazy evaluation so that getting the image dimensions from ImageIO would be postponed until that data is actually used.

Until 4.4.3.1 is released, you can revert to 4.4.2 and the speed will be back.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

-Kirk

Offline patrick

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • patrickbaldwin.com
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2006, 05:38:26 PM »
Thank you Kirk. I am reverted! Your support is second to none in the industry as far as I'm concerned.
Patrick.

Offline carynlevy

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • www.carynlevy.com
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2006, 01:15:37 PM »
Hi Kirk-
This thread is what I was talking about in my thread:
http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=152.0
Caryn
www.carynlevy.com
www.pgatourimages.com

Offline Ken Wyatt

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2006, 02:47:20 PM »
I also noticed that ingesting a combination of CR2 and JPEG files using a USB2 card reader was really slow 45 minutes. I was applying IPTC stationary; which, by the way, did not seem to work. That is, the basic copyright copied OK, but not the specific location and title info, etc. Maybe I don't understand how the stationary works during ingest? My system is WinXP and am using PM ver 4.4.3.

Thanks, Ken

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2006, 02:58:48 PM »
I also noticed that ingesting a combination of CR2 and JPEG files using a USB2 card reader was really slow 45 minutes. I was applying IPTC stationary; which, by the way, did not seem to work. That is, the basic copyright copied OK, but not the specific location and title info, etc. Maybe I don't understand how the stationary works during ingest? My system is WinXP and am using PM ver 4.4.3.

It should not take that long on a Windows system since PM doesn't do any RAW processing (rendering) on Windows.  Do you have a USB2 card reader?  USB1.1 is very slow.

As far as applying IPTC Stationery, only the fields that you see in the IPTC Stationery Pad dialog that are "checked" will be applied.  Items in the User/Client variables dialog are not added to the IPTC Stationery unless you specifically call out their variables like {username} in one of the IPTC Stationery Pad fields.

HTH,

-Kirk