Author Topic: Windows -- "Date Modified"  (Read 8580 times)

Offline Nessa

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Windows -- "Date Modified"
« on: September 04, 2007, 01:37:54 AM »
Using Windows XP Pro
Photo Mechanic 4.5.2

When I Ingest photos via Photo Mechanic into Window XP Pro, the "Date Modified" in the Windows folder changes from when I actually took the photo to the date/time of when I Ingested it.

I don't recall this happening before, maybe it did but I hadn't noticed -- I still have the habit of using Windows to upload photos.

Thanks,

folsombob

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
Re: Windows -- "Date Modified"
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2007, 03:10:46 AM »
Are you perhaps applying IPTC information at the time of ingest?  If so, that would explain it.

You can use Tools|Adjust Capture Dates and Times to readjust the settings.

Cheers
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2007, 07:16:33 AM »
folsombob,

Using Windows XP Pro
Photo Mechanic 4.5.2

When I Ingest photos via Photo Mechanic into Window XP Pro, the "Date Modified" in the Windows folder changes from when I actually took the photo to the date/time of when I Ingested it.

I don't recall this happening before, maybe it did but I hadn't noticed -- I still have the habit of using Windows to upload photos.

That is not a new phenomenon.  Windows updates the modification date of any folder anytime one of the files inside it was modified.  PM doesn't directly change the modification date of folders other than when you make an Arrangement (PM preserves the modification date throughout the addition of the .pmarrrangement.dat file.)

-Kirk

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2007, 08:56:48 AM »
That is not a new phenomenon.  Windows updates the modification date of any folder anytime one of the files inside it was modified.  PM doesn't directly change the modification date of folders other than when you make an Arrangement (PM preserves the modification date throughout the addition of the .pmarrrangement.dat file.)

Kirk, ah, I was reading the problem wrongly; I thought he was referring to the file date upon ingest, but he actually meant folder date.  ::)
And yes, the folder date changes whenever the (content of the) folder is changed (e.g. by adding/changing /deleting a file in it).  This is quite logical and to my knowledge works the same under UNIX (and hence under MAC as well, but as I don't yet have a MAC, I can't verify this yet ;))

Cheers.
Hayo Baan - Photography

Offline Nessa

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2007, 07:42:59 PM »
Thanks, folks

Let me try to explain again -- though I believe the answer might be in applying IPTC information at the time of ingest.

I was not refering to the folder date/time, but the file date/time of each photo.

In Windows (as with the Mac) when in Details view, headings appear at the top of each column: Name, Size, Type, "Date Modified" etc.

It is that date/time to which I referred.

If I took a photo on 09/02/07 02:24pm and I Ingested the next day, then the "Date Modified" would change to when I Ingested.

In Windows, there is a whole host of other headings from which to choose, including "Date Picture Taken" -- ah. Never mind; now I see. And this is what I wanted to see, "Date Picture Taken," which only applies to the JPEG.

Thanks for your help.

folsombob

Kirk, ah, I was reading the problem wrongly; I thought he was referring to the file date upon ingest, but he actually meant folder date.  ::)
And yes, the folder date changes whenever the (content of the) folder is changed (e.g. by adding/changing /deleting a file in it).  This is quite logical and to my knowledge works the same under UNIX (and hence under MAC as well, but as I don't yet have a MAC, I can't verify this yet ;))

Cheers.

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2007, 11:52:40 PM »
As I wrote earlier: applying IPTC info would (rightly) update the file modification date/time; adding the IPTC changes the file and hence, the modification data/time is updated.

If you want, you can use Tools|Adjust Capture Dates and Times to readjust the settings.

Hope this helps.
Hayo Baan - Photography