Author Topic: New thought on PM/vista issues?  (Read 5752 times)

Offline tomoc

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Cloudview Images
New thought on PM/vista issues?
« on: October 03, 2007, 02:12:54 PM »
Does PM use any components of Quicktime? There are some comments in the MS Media Expression forum about the new version of QT having compatibility issues with nVidia drivers.

If the answer to the question is yes, does anyone know where you can download an older version than 7.2 QT???

thanks,

tom
Tom O'Connell
Cloudview Images

TomOC@earthlink.net
www.CloudViewImages.com

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: New thought on PM/vista issues?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2007, 02:28:06 PM »
Tom,

Does PM use any components of Quicktime? There are some comments in the MS Media Expression forum about the new version of QT having compatibility issues with nVidia drivers.

If the answer to the question is yes, does anyone know where you can download an older version than 7.2 QT???

Yes, PM uses QuickTime if it is installed.  Note that for PM to use QuickTime, it needs to be version 7.138 or higher, otherwise PM 4.5.3 will ignore it.

How much older of a QuickTime version do you need on Vista to make it compatible with nVidia drivers?

As a test, you could just uninstall QuickTime altogether and see if that improves stability.  If it doesn't then you don't need to spend time hunting down older versions of QuickTime.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline tomoc

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Cloudview Images
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2007, 07:06:21 PM »
Kirk-

Thanks for the tips. I will uninstall it and see what happens. I don't know what version I need... assumed it was 7.1.5 which is what I had on my XP machine before I upgraded it.

If it works, then I will go to Apple and see what solace they can offer.

will let you know if that is the culprit.

cheers,

tom
Tom O'Connell
Cloudview Images

TomOC@earthlink.net
www.CloudViewImages.com

Offline tomoc

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Cloudview Images
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2007, 07:17:19 PM »
Kirk-

BINGO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you know some way to get QT 7.1.5, I should be in business with iView and/or MS Media expression as well.

Just curious... PM seems to run as well with QT uninstalled as it did with it... what is the advantage of having QT?

thanks,

tom
Tom O'Connell
Cloudview Images

TomOC@earthlink.net
www.CloudViewImages.com

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2007, 07:38:43 PM »
Tom,

BINGO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you know some way to get QT 7.1.5, I should be in business with iView and/or MS Media expression as well.

Just curious... PM seems to run as well with QT uninstalled as it did with it... what is the advantage of having QT?

QuickTime used for previewing movie files, PNG, GIF, BMP, PICT, TGA, and PSD files.  If it is not installed, then you cannot view those file types.

I don't know how to get older versions of QuickTime.  Maybe someone else here does?

-Kirk

Offline tomoc

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Cloudview Images
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2007, 08:47:43 PM »
Life is good again...

http://www.oldversion.com/program.php?n=quicktime

That URL has many old versions of QT (I did a norton virus scan on the file just to be safe...it was).

Now PM and iView all work fine again.

My advice, if you are running Vista with an nVidia display driver is NOT to load QT 7.2 for now... nVidia claims it is an Apple bug... we'll see.

cheers and thanks for the help.

tom
Tom O'Connell
Cloudview Images

TomOC@earthlink.net
www.CloudViewImages.com

Offline tomoc

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Cloudview Images
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2007, 12:56:50 PM »
Life is good again...

http://www.oldversion.com/program.php?n=quicktime

That URL has many old versions of QT (I did a norton virus scan on the file just to be safe...it was).

Now PM and iView all work fine again.

My advice, if you are running Vista with an nVidia display driver is NOT to load QT 7.2 for now... nVidia claims it is an Apple bug... we'll see.

cheers and thanks for the help.

tom

Kirk-

Bliss was short... QT 7.1.5 crashes too, so I have just uninstalled QT for now and it workd fine excpet for the file types you mention (the only one that really matters to me is PSD but I'll work around that by keywording in the NEF state first).

I've just spent some time in the Microsoft EM forum and they are looking into vista/nvidia/qt issues for me (and a few others in the forum).

thanks again for your help.

tom
« Last Edit: October 04, 2007, 02:30:06 PM by Kirk Baker »
Tom O'Connell
Cloudview Images

TomOC@earthlink.net
www.CloudViewImages.com

Offline FVlcek

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2007, 04:46:14 PM »
If you feel like experimenting, there is also QuickTimeAlternative codecs, which are basically repackaged quicktime components but without the extra stuff. The  basics are copied from Quicktime so you might not be better off but for an experiment it might be ok?

Frantisek

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2007, 06:16:51 PM »
Frantisek,

If you feel like experimenting, there is also QuickTimeAlternative codecs, which are basically repackaged quicktime components but without the extra stuff. The  basics are copied from Quicktime so you might not be better off but for an experiment it might be ok?

I can tell you that it definitely doesn't duplicate enough functionality to work with Photo Mechanic.

-Kirk

Offline tomoc

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Cloudview Images
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2007, 07:23:30 PM »
Frantisek,

I can tell you that it definitely doesn't duplicate enough functionality to work with Photo Mechanic.

-Kirk

Thanks... my long term goal is to get iview and PM working. Without QT involved, PM works fine for me for everything but PSD files which I will temporarily work around by keywording in the NEF file.

thanks for the idea, though...might be a bit beyond my abilities.

tom
Tom O'Connell
Cloudview Images

TomOC@earthlink.net
www.CloudViewImages.com