Author Topic: Mac beta 2 version remains hidden  (Read 4418 times)

Offline jimb

• View Profile
Mac beta 2 version remains hidden
« on: October 17, 2007, 02:26:18 PM »
PM 4.5.3 beta 2 on a Macbook Pro...

If I hide PM using the X button, it cannot be "unhidden". The dock shows the triangle indicating PM is running, but clicking on it does nothing. Sometimes (not very often) right-clicking the PM icon and clicking Show works, but most of the time I have to quit PM and restart it. This behavior is different than any other application, and seems to have started with beta 2. Using option-H to hide works a little better, i.e. you can click the PM icon in the dock and it reappears, but even this isn't 100% reliable.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Mac beta 2 version remains hidden
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2007, 04:08:10 PM »
Jim,

If I hide PM using the X button, it cannot be "unhidden". The dock shows the triangle indicating PM is running, but clicking on it does nothing. Sometimes (not very often) right-clicking the PM icon and clicking Show works, but most of the time I have to quit PM and restart it. This behavior is different than any other application, and seems to have started with beta 2. Using option-H to hide works a little better, i.e. you can click the PM icon in the dock and it reappears, but even this isn't 100% reliable.

Please post a screen shot of this "X" button as I have no idea what you're talking about.

-Kirk

Offline jimb

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2007, 04:23:23 PM »
Jim,

Please post a screen shot of this "X" button as I have no idea what you're talking about.

-Kirk

The Close button in the upper-left corner of evry Mac window.

Offline SamFrost

• View Profile
    • Sam Frost Photography
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2007, 11:30:57 AM »
That's not hiding PM - the red X closes the window.  Check the "Create new Untitled Contact Sheet window when resumed and no Contact Sheet windows are open" box in the Contact Sheet section of the preferences if you want a new blank contact sheet to reappear when you reactivate PM.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2007, 11:40:51 AM »
Jim,

That's not hiding PM - the red X closes the window.  Check the "Create new Untitled Contact Sheet window when resumed and no Contact Sheet windows are open" box in the Contact Sheet section of the preferences if you want a new blank contact sheet to reappear when you reactivate PM.

Yes, you're closing the top-level Contact Sheet window.  If all you want to do is hide PM, use the Hide Photo Mechanic command on the Photo Mechanic application menu, or press Cmd-H.  And yes, Sam is right, you can configure PM to open a new Contact Sheet window when no other top-level Contact Sheet windows are open at the time that PM is resumed.

Cmd-Tab will let you switch between applications or you can click into another App's windows or use the Dock to click on other Application icons.

But you don't need to close PM's windows to switch to another app.  Were you trying to quit PM?  You can use the Quit command on the Photo Mechanic application menu or type Cmd-Q.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline jimb

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2007, 02:03:12 PM »
Thanks guys... I'm still figuring out the subtleties of the Mac. Setting the preference specified above lets me get PM back after closing it. Somehow I must have changed that setting while messing with the beta versions on the Mac.