Author Topic: Keyword sorting in the Structured Keyword Dialoge  (Read 5777 times)

Offline Juerg

• View Profile
Keyword sorting in the Structured Keyword Dialoge
« on: January 04, 2008, 10:14:46 AM »
Hi Kirk,

You added a sort function for keywords into the keyword dialog. Is it possible to have the same sort function implemented into the structured keyword dialog? Or is it there and I can't find it?

At the moment I add keyword in the structured keyword dialoge, save it, and have to open the keyword dialoge to sort them. Kind of cumbersom.

Thanks,
Juerg

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Keyword sorting in the Structured Keyword Dialoge
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2008, 11:09:11 AM »
Juerg,

You added a sort function for keywords into the keyword dialog. Is it possible to have the same sort function implemented into the structured keyword dialog? Or is it there and I can't find it?

At the moment I add keyword in the structured keyword dialoge, save it, and have to open the keyword dialoge to sort them. Kind of cumbersom.

It should automatically sort the added keyword immediately.  What do you mean by "have to open the keyword dialoge to sort them"?  The regular Keywords list dialog?  The Structured Keywords dialog?

Maybe screenshots would be helpful...  Also what version of Photo Mechanic are you using?

-Kirk

Offline Juerg

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2008, 11:17:20 AM »
Kirk,

I add keyword using the stuctured keyword dialog. When I close this dialoge, the keywords are added to the IPTC keyword filed in the order I selected them and not alphabetically sorted.

To have them sorted, I have to open the regular keyword panel as a secondary operation, which then sorts the keywords that are present in the file (previousley added using the structured keyword dialog), and close it again.

I hope this makes it more clear.

Juerg

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2008, 01:29:01 PM »
Juerg,

I add keyword using the stuctured keyword dialog. When I close this dialoge, the keywords are added to the IPTC keyword filed in the order I selected them and not alphabetically sorted.

To have them sorted, I have to open the regular keyword panel as a secondary operation, which then sorts the keywords that are present in the file (previousley added using the structured keyword dialog), and close it again.

I hope this makes it more clear.

Yes, thanks.  The Structured Keywords dialog applies keywords in the order you apply them in.  It does not sort them.  This is necessary to preserve the hierarchy.

-Kirk

Offline Juerg

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2008, 03:27:29 AM »
Kirk,

Yes, thanks.  The Structured Keywords dialog applies keywords in the order you apply them in.  It does not sort them.  This is necessary to preserve the hierarchy.

I understand that you need the hierachy in the top window (root, sub-cat, etc.), but as soon as the keywords are added to the 'collection' window, from where they are writen into the IPTC keyword field, the hirachy is lost anyway, they will be added as a list of words, alas unsorted.

Basically, my question would be whether it's possible to have them sorted as soon as they are added to the 'collection' window. Or if that's not possible, to sort the words in the collection window when I close the structured keyword dialoge (while they are added to the keyword field)?

One more thing: In the regular keyword dialoge, the 'Master Keyword List' window on the left has a scroll bar. But the 'Current Keyword List' window on the right doen't have a scroll bar, means only the first 24 keywords assigned to a picture are visible, the rest can't be seen (or modified). Could you add a scroll bar as well?

Thanks,
Juerg
« Last Edit: January 05, 2008, 05:18:04 AM by archer69 »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2008, 07:10:44 AM »
Juerg,

I understand that you need the hierachy in the top window (root, sub-cat, etc.), but as soon as the keywords are added to the 'collection' window, from where they are writen into the IPTC keyword field, the hirachy is lost anyway, they will be added as a list of words, alas unsorted.

Technically they are in hierarchical order from the most general to the most specific in each of their groups.

Quote from: archer69
Basically, my question would be whether it's possible to have them sorted as soon as they are added to the 'collection' window. Or if that's not possible, to sort the words in the collection window when I close the structured keyword dialoge (while they are added to the keyword field)?

I could add an option to sort the keywords as they are added to the collection.

One more thing: In the regular keyword dialoge, the 'Master Keyword List' window on the left has a scroll bar. But the 'Current Keyword List' window on the right doen't have a scroll bar, means only the first 24 keywords assigned to a picture are visible, the rest can't be seen (or modified). Could you add a scroll bar as well?

That was a bug.  I have fixed it.  Thanks for the heads-up.

-Kirk

Offline Juerg

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2008, 08:06:26 AM »
Kirk,

Juerg,

Technically they are in hierarchical order from the most general to the most specific in each of their groups.

Of course you are technically correct. But after I added keywords from different categories to a picture, it's hard to say where one category ends and the next starts. Therefore I personally prefere to have them sorted afterwards.

I could add an option to sort the keywords as they are added to the collection.

If you could to that it would be absolutely terrific and highly appreciated.  ;D

That was a bug.  I have fixed it.  Thanks for the heads-up.
Your welcome and thanks for fixing it.

Regards,
Juerg