Author Topic: IPTC/XMP not showing in Expression Media for all images  (Read 7429 times)

Offline drmrbrewer

• View Profile
IPTC/XMP not showing in Expression Media for all images
« on: February 03, 2008, 12:50:08 AM »
I usually rate and annotate in PM (I'm on the latest version), then import into Expression Media for cataloging.  I shoot D200 NEFs, and have EM set to write to XMP sidecars (not to the NEFs).  After importing into EM, I delete the XMPs.  This has worked well till now, with all my PM ratings and annotations showing up in EM.

But I've just tried this process, and found in my most recent batch that the first few images in a folder are showing all annotations in EM after import, but the rest are missing all annotations and ratings.  The annotations and ratings show fine in PM, but don't show in EM.

Thing is, I don't recall changing anything in my setup recently; don't think I've upgraded either PM or EM for some time.

I'm attaching my preference settings in PM.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Mike

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: IPTC/XMP not showing in Expression Media for all images
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2008, 01:18:38 AM »
Mike,

I usually rate and annotate in PM (I'm on the latest version), then import into Expression Media for cataloging.  I shoot D200 NEFs, and have EM set to write to XMP sidecars (not to the NEFs).  After importing into EM, I delete the XMPs.  This has worked well till now, with all my PM ratings and annotations showing up in EM.

But I've just tried this process, and found in my most recent batch that the first few images in a folder are showing all annotations in EM after import, but the rest are missing all annotations and ratings.  The annotations and ratings show fine in PM, but don't show in EM.

Thing is, I don't recall changing anything in my setup recently; don't think I've upgraded either PM or EM for some time.

On NEF files with your settings, PM stores the caption and "soft edits" (tag, rating, color class, etc.) in the XMP data.  Additionally, the soft edits are stored at the end of the NEF file.  Since you say that you have deleted the XMP sidecar files, I don't see how PM is capable of showing you your captions (annotations), but it should still be showing your soft edits.

I really would recommend that you don't delete your XMP sidecar files.  Otherwise you cannot continue to refine your captions in the future unless you can get EM to generate XMP sidecar files at a later point in time.

Are you certain that PM continues to show both soft edits and the IPTC/XMP caption data on these particular files?

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline drmrbrewer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2008, 02:17:24 AM »
Kirk

I should clarify... on this latest batch I haven't yet deleted the XMP files... I could see there was a problem in EM with not all data showing, so I didn't delete the XMP files.  Hence, everything is still OK and visible in PM.

May be an issue with EM, not PM.  Although it's odd because nothing in my setup has changed recently as I said.

Mike

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2008, 02:22:31 AM »
Mike,

I should clarify... on this latest batch I haven't yet deleted the XMP files... I could see there was a problem in EM with not all data showing, so I didn't delete the XMP files.  Hence, everything is still OK and visible in PM.

May be an issue with EM, not PM.  Although it's odd because nothing in my setup has changed recently as I said.

Could be a problem with Expression Media then.  If you post one of your XMP sidecar files that isn't being picked up (or send it to me directly) then I can take a look at it to see if I can spot anything 'wrong' with the XMP data.

-Kirk

Offline drmrbrewer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2008, 07:10:26 AM »
Could well be EM.  I've emailed you a couple of samples.

Thanks,

Mike

Offline drmrbrewer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2008, 11:39:27 AM »
Well, thanks to Robert over on the iView forum, the problem is fixed.  It turned out to be a problem with Apple's Quicktime... it hadn't crossed my mind that I might have upgraded my Quicktime installation recently, but it seemed I had, up to 7.4.  Expression Media relies heavily on Quicktime.

So, I uninstalled Quicktime 7.4, and downloaded and installed an older version 7.3.1 from Apple's site:

http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/quicktime731forwindows.html

Problem fixed.  Back to normal.

Cheers,

Mike