Author Topic: Lost Finder icons  (Read 4082 times)

Offline rcohn

• View Profile
Lost Finder icons
« on: February 20, 2008, 08:54:29 PM »
I'm new to PM and after using PM to enter Metadata for a folder of .psd images, most of the images now have a generic icon. I do have "Create Finder icons during copy, ingest, or save as" checked. I tried Tools>Generate Finder Icons..., but it only worked for a few of the images.

Is there something I'm doing wrong? Or is there a fix?

Thanks for your help.

Ric Cohn

Offline rcohn

• View Profile
Re: Lost Finder icons
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2008, 11:44:24 AM »
I was hoping for a quick answer, but as my problem continues I'll post further details.

I'm using 4.5.3 in Demo Mode on a Dual G5 with OS10.4.11. Here's an example of what causes the Icons to disappear (i.e. change to the generic Photoshop CS3 Icon): I select a group of images in PM, open the ITCP Stationary Pad (Command-I) and click "Apply Stationary to Selected". A dialog opens saying "Applying ITCP Stationary Pad" and shows the progress. As each image's Metadata is updated I can see the Finder Icons revert one-by-one to the Photoshop Generic. I just checked and the same problem is happening on an external Firewire 800 hard drive and on my Main drive. Is this normal?

To confirm: I have "Create Finder icons during copy, ingest or save as" checked. Is there another setting I should change? Could something like a bad Preferences file cause this?

I was really liking Photo Mechanic and was planning on buying it, but I need to know this isn't normal and how to fix it.

Thanks for any help!

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2008, 02:04:59 PM »
Ric,

I was hoping for a quick answer, but as my problem continues I'll post further details.

I'm using 4.5.3 in Demo Mode on a Dual G5 with OS10.4.11. Here's an example of what causes the Icons to disappear (i.e. change to the generic Photoshop CS3 Icon): I select a group of images in PM, open the ITCP Stationary Pad (Command-I) and click "Apply Stationary to Selected". A dialog opens saying "Applying ITCP Stationary Pad" and shows the progress. As each image's Metadata is updated I can see the Finder Icons revert one-by-one to the Photoshop Generic. I just checked and the same problem is happening on an external Firewire 800 hard drive and on my Main drive. Is this normal?

To confirm: I have "Create Finder icons during copy, ingest or save as" checked. Is there another setting I should change? Could something like a bad Preferences file cause this?

We can confirm that it is indeed happening and we are looking into it.  There is currently no setting that you can change to improve this issue.  When we get the problem resolved, we'll make sure it makes it into the 4.5.3.1 update that will be released soon.

-Kirk

Offline rcohn

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2008, 02:52:51 PM »
Kirk,

Thanks for the answer. I'm glad to know that this is a known issue and it's being actively worked on! Is this only a problem with psd's? I assume it's a recently introduced glitch?

Ric Cohn

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2008, 03:29:07 PM »
Ric,

Thanks for the answer. I'm glad to know that this is a known issue and it's being actively worked on! Is this only a problem with psd's? I assume it's a recently introduced glitch?

It appears to affect only PSD files.  JPEGs seem to work fine.  We haven't yet tested all available file formats for this issue.

Recently introduced?  I don't know.  You're the first person to notify us of the issue.  Our PSD captioning code hasn't changed in some time now.

-Kirk