Author Topic: Move File (delete original) problem  (Read 3003 times)

Offline dbacksjon

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Move File (delete original) problem
« on: March 04, 2008, 03:55:09 PM »
So not as much of a problem with the software as much as it is a user mistake. I moved some files to a network drive and clicked on the delete original tab. Then they inadvertently got deleted off of the shared drive. When photomechanic moves and deletes them is there a way to recover those files? I didn't see them in the trash and don't know what it does with them... any thoughts Kirk or others? I have a backup CD of the originals but i had done renaming of every file and cropping, etc... Any chance they are still on my Mac somewhere? Using a Mac Pro tower, Leopard .2, etc...

Thanks,
Jon

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Move File (delete original) problem
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2008, 03:57:56 PM »
Jon,

So not as much of a problem with the software as much as it is a user mistake. I moved some files to a network drive and clicked on the delete original tab. Then they inadvertently got deleted off of the shared drive. When photomechanic moves and deletes them is there a way to recover those files? I didn't see them in the trash and don't know what it does with them... any thoughts Kirk or others? I have a backup CD of the originals but i had done renaming of every file and cropping, etc... Any chance they are still on my Mac somewhere? Using a Mac Pro tower, Leopard .2, etc...

Did you have PM set to move to the Trash instead of deleting?  If not, then they were deleted immediately.

-Kirk

Offline dbacksjon

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2008, 04:32:11 PM »
I do have it set to move to Trash, but the files do not seem to be there... does PM change the filenames or put them in a folder in the trash or something? I used the "Copy Selected Photos" option and ticked Delete Originals on the dialog box... any chance they are somewhere in my trash?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2008, 05:45:52 PM »
I do have it set to move to Trash, but the files do not seem to be there... does PM change the filenames or put them in a folder in the trash or something? I used the "Copy Selected Photos" option and ticked Delete Originals on the dialog box... any chance they are somewhere in my trash?

I misunderstood what you had done.  When you move files, the files are copied to the destination folder and are deleted from the source folder.  Moving files does not cause the originals to be put in the Trash.  The originals are now at the destination folder and no longer exist in the source folder.

So unfortunately, the answer is no, they are not in the Trash.

-Kirk