Author Topic: Iptc data and raw images?  (Read 2540 times)

Offline Dieselrider

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Iptc data and raw images?
« on: March 17, 2008, 05:59:19 AM »
When entering iptc data is it attached to the raw file as well as the jpegs? I would then be able to delete the jpegs for example and still have the raw images with the information on them? Thanks

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Iptc data and raw images?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2008, 06:34:33 AM »
When entering iptc data is it attached to the raw file as well as the jpegs? I would then be able to delete the jpegs for example and still have the raw images with the information on them? Thanks

It depends on how you set PM to caption RAW files.  If you tell it to embed IPTC and/or IPTC4XMP then your RAW files will have that data embedded in them.  If you tell it to use XMP sidecar files, then your captions will go there instead.  But the basic answer is yes, when you're captioning your JPEGs, the RAW files associated with them are also being captioned.

-Kirk

Offline Dieselrider

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2008, 08:04:01 AM »
Ok, this will sound very dumb to someone who uses this type of software regularly, but, What do all the fields in the IPTC stationary fiel mean? Is there a source to finding just what each means so that i am inputing what I want in there? Thank you

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2008, 08:46:57 AM »
Ok, this will sound very dumb to someone who uses this type of software regularly, but, What do all the fields in the IPTC stationary fiel mean? Is there a source to finding just what each means so that i am inputing what I want in there? Thank you

Most of the fields are named in such a way that they will mean something reasonable to people new to IPTC, like Caption, Caption writer, Photographer, City, State, Country, etc.  Some of the others like Object Name, and Transmission Reference are used by news organizations for special purposes.

I would just start out by filling in the information that you have, like where the photo was taken (City, State, Country), what the photo is about (Caption), Keywords, and Copyright.  Some of that information will be constant among a set of photos and you could then use the IPTC Stationery Pad to apply the common information in bulk to your images, and then use the IPTC Info to add in the details one-by-one.

HTH,

-Kirk