Author Topic: iMac Screen Saver , 90 Degree flips & PM  (Read 4669 times)

Offline larrych

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
iMac Screen Saver , 90 Degree flips & PM
« on: March 19, 2008, 11:09:45 PM »
I ingest all of my photos with PM (4.5.3.1), and make any necessary 90 degree flips.  When I set the iMac Screen Saver to a picture folder, the flipped photos come onto the screen 90 degrees from the desired orientation.  I am unable to determine why this is happening. PM continues to display the flipped photos correctly. I am suspicious that somehow iPhoto is causing this, even though it is no longer used since I started using PM. Any suggestions?
Larry Church

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: iMac Screen Saver , 90 Degree flips & PM
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2008, 11:39:46 PM »
Larry,

I ingest all of my photos with PM (4.5.3.1), and make any necessary 90 degree flips.  When I set the iMac Screen Saver to a picture folder, the flipped photos come onto the screen 90 degrees from the desired orientation.  I am unable to determine why this is happening. PM continues to display the flipped photos correctly. I am suspicious that somehow iPhoto is causing this, even though it is no longer used since I started using PM. Any suggestions?

It sounds like the screen saver is ignoring the Exif Orientation tag which tells 'aware' applications which orientation the image should be viewed in.  You can use the "Apply Rotation to JPEGs" to hard-rotate your image data which will likely take care of this issue.

-Kirk

Offline larrych

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2008, 09:43:25 PM »
Kirk--

Thanks for the prompt reply.  Is there anyway of doing this procedure in a batch mode, rather than bringing up every contact sheet, selecting all, and applying the rotation to JPEG tool?

Larry Church

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2008, 10:24:36 PM »
Larry,

Thanks for the prompt reply.  Is there anyway of doing this procedure in a batch mode, rather than bringing up every contact sheet, selecting all, and applying the rotation to JPEG tool?

Well, it is a batch tool already.  You just need to open multiple folders into a single Contact Sheet tab.  When you right-click (or Ctrl-click on a single button mouse) on a folder in the Navigator or Favorites, several options are displayed in the contextual menu that appears.  You can use these menu items to open a folder and all of its subfolders into a single Contact Sheet, open additional folders into the current Contact Sheet, etc.

Once you have all of the files in a single Contact Sheet tab, select all and then use the rotation tool.

HTH,

-Kirk