Author Topic: Corruption to images when renaming  (Read 3241 times)

Offline joedmiles

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Corruption to images when renaming
« on: April 04, 2008, 02:13:14 AM »
HI-I've recently come across a problem with renaming images in PM. When I renamed a large batch of images (1100) the images seemed to get corrupted and now I've got a whole batch of around 800 images that are unreadable. I transferred them from the card and didn't rename them and they seem OK so seems it's a problem with the software?

Hope you can help.

Joe

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Corruption to images when renaming
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2008, 06:25:35 AM »
Joe,

HI-I've recently come across a problem with renaming images in PM. When I renamed a large batch of images (1100) the images seemed to get corrupted and now I've got a whole batch of around 800 images that are unreadable. I transferred them from the card and didn't rename them and they seem OK so seems it's a problem with the software?

Corrupted in what way?  Are the names incorrect?  The images cannot be rendered?

What OS are you running?
What version of Photo Mechanic are you running?

-Kirk

Offline joedmiles

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2008, 02:01:50 PM »
I'm running version 10.4.11 on a G4.

It says 'image cannot be rendered' on the software and when opening them in photoshop they say damaged files or incomplete file marker or something. Once opened there are segments of the image which is totally messed up. They were OK before I changed the names using the software. Very strange eh? Any ideas?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2008, 04:07:45 PM »
I'm running version 10.4.11 on a G4.

It says 'image cannot be rendered' on the software and when opening them in photoshop they say damaged files or incomplete file marker or something. Once opened there are segments of the image which is totally messed up. They were OK before I changed the names using the software. Very strange eh? Any ideas?

Had you ingested a couple of cards in a row?

I don't see how renaming could cause such an issue.  Ingesting a series of cards that are not unmounted properly can cause the problem you have described.  The OS will cache disk information from a previous card if the previous card is not unmounted properly and will furnish some data from the previous card mixed with information from the current card.

So can you tell me if you had ingested a couple of cards in a row?

-Kirk

Offline Irios

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2008, 04:18:25 AM »
(Did you perhaps change the filename extension of the files?)

Offline joedmiles

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2008, 10:56:32 AM »
Hi-no it was only one card which was 16gig. I didn't change the JPG extension if that's what you mean.
I re-downloaded the images again from the same card this time without renaming the images and they were fine so it points towards the renaming doesn't it?
Email me on (EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED) if you need to as I'd love to clear this up.

« Last Edit: April 08, 2008, 11:25:16 AM by Kirk Baker »