Author Topic: Copy and paste IPTC info  (Read 4948 times)

Offline devenh

• View Profile
Copy and paste IPTC info
« on: April 10, 2008, 08:02:51 AM »
Has any thought been given to having a copy and paste IPTC info in the contact sheet?

Yes, I know you can achieve the same thing with the stationery pad, but that takes WAY too many keystrokes. 

I'm suggesting something much simpler.  Select a photo in the contact sheet, press Ctrl+C (Windows), then select one or more other images and press Ctrl+V.  All the IPTC info would be copied.  I would not have it copy the star, color, and tag attributes, but I suppose that behavior could be customized.

Deven

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Copy and paste IPTC info
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2008, 09:57:31 AM »
Deven,

Has any thought been given to having a copy and paste IPTC info in the contact sheet?

Yes, I know you can achieve the same thing with the stationery pad, but that takes WAY too many keystrokes. 

I'm suggesting something much simpler.  Select a photo in the contact sheet, press Ctrl+C (Windows), then select one or more other images and press Ctrl+V.  All the IPTC info would be copied.  I would not have it copy the star, color, and tag attributes, but I suppose that behavior could be customized.

Check the Edit menu.  Alt+C and Alt+V do exactly what you're asking for.

-Kirk

Offline devenh

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2008, 10:29:33 AM »
Ah, one step ahead of me once again  ;D

You know, I did check the edit menu before posting and I completely missed it.  I scanned the list of shortcut keys and did not see the standard windows key combinations for copy and paste (Ctrl+C, Ctrl+V).  Also, the menu descriptions "Take/Paste IPTC Snapshot" do not use the language that most menu systems incorporate (IOW, using standard language reduces confusion).  Finally, the paste option does not even appear unless something has already been copied.

I would suggest considering using more standard naming and shortcut conventions:

Copy IPTC  Ctrl+C
Paste IPTC Ctrl+V

When nothing is in the clipboard, then the Paste option would be greyed.

Deven

Offline devenh

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2008, 05:31:54 PM »
Kirk,

In the Preview window you can copy and paste (or take and paste) IPTC info via mouse clicks, but not via Alt+V and Alt+C.

Is there a list of all the keyboard shortcuts?  I'm just now realizing that for most of the shortcuts listed in the drop down menus that the Alt and Ctrl keys are often not needed.  In fact, some have additional keys that work (a photo can be tagged by Ctrl++, +, and T, (any other keys?) but in the Preview window only T works, got it??).

It would be nice if the shortcuts were consistent across all the windows.

Deven

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2008, 08:30:52 PM »
Deven,

In the Preview window you can copy and paste (or take and paste) IPTC info via mouse clicks, but not via Alt+V and Alt+C.

Is there a list of all the keyboard shortcuts?  I'm just now realizing that for most of the shortcuts listed in the drop down menus that the Alt and Ctrl keys are often not needed.  In fact, some have additional keys that work (a photo can be tagged by Ctrl++, +, and T, (any other keys?) but in the Preview window only T works, got it??).

It would be nice if the shortcuts were consistent across all the windows.

The keyboard shortcuts are listed in the manual that is available from our website.

-Kirk

Offline IanGoldstein

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2008, 02:16:28 PM »
Perhaps a help option could be added which would display a pop-up list of all the shortcuts? Although it's easy enough to look something up in the PDF manual, sometimes it would be nice to be able to just select Help > Keyboard Shortcuts and get a quick snapshot of them on screen.

It would not need to have any fancy formating. It could even be as simple as a small text file which is displayed in a modal window. In fact, if it were a simple text file it would be best, as that would give us the ability to "fine tune" it for our own individual needs.

-Ian