Author Topic: Previews from different cameras  (Read 2225 times)

Offline MST

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Previews from different cameras
« on: April 26, 2008, 03:43:55 PM »
Hi,
I am a new PM user and very impressed. All my workflow issues are solved but I have a problem:
I use two DSLR, a Nikon D100 and a D2x and work only with RAW files. The thumbs generated of the pics of those cameras are very fine, the preview of the D2x NEF's also but the previews of the D100 are bad. Unsharp and pixelated.
May be the reason is that PM generates the previews of RAW files from the embedded TIFF's (or JPEG's?) and does not demosaicing and rendering the RAW's (PM is so wonderful fast). I think the in the D100 RAW files embedded TIFF's do not have the potential to render them to high quality.
Is that the reason or do I something wrong? How can I generate high quality previews from the RAW files of my D100?

Markus

Offline devenh

• View Profile
Re: Previews from different cameras
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2008, 09:41:28 AM »
I have never owned a D100, but I suspect it may be like the D2h and only embed a low resolution jpg in the nef file (newer Nikons like the D2x, D300, D3, etc. embed a full sized medium quality jpg in the nef).

As a former D2h user, the only practical alternative was to shoot raw+jpg which PM handles very well.

The not so practical alternatives are to sell your camera (an option I did take, but not entirely because of this problem) or to run you nef files through Capture NX which will embed a full resolution high quality jpg in the nef file (and significantly increase the file size).

Deven
« Last Edit: April 27, 2008, 05:09:30 PM by devenh »

Offline MST

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Previews from different cameras
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2008, 02:30:42 PM »
Thank's!

Actually I use my D2x (PM works very fine with that raws) and have the "good old D100" as a second body. But I have thousands of D100 nef files from further times. Parallel shooting of raw and jpeg is (and was) not possible with this camera.
I will try your recommendation to run those files through Capture NX but I think it will take a long, long ... time.

Markus