Author Topic: About DNG  (Read 15104 times)

Offline Karsten

• View Profile
    • Photographer Karsten Weirup
Re: About DNG
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2008, 10:55:20 AM »
If you mean if they are visible, they are.
Actually I don't have to update the file with the updater-tool I can just open the IPTC info window and just use the spacebar in the caption window or type any sign.
Any change at all made in the IPTC window means that the file is back in the search result.
OK?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2008, 11:09:34 AM »
Karsten,

Actually I don't have to update the file with the updater-tool I can just open the IPTC info window and just use the spacebar in the caption window or type any sign.
Any change at all made in the IPTC window means that the file is back in the search result.
OK?

Can you send me two DNG files, one after ACR updates the file, and one after you have adjusted the IPTC data with Photo Mechanic?

Contact me privately by clicking on my name to the left of this message and then click on the "personal message" link.  I'll respond with server upload info.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2008, 01:11:32 PM »
Karsten,

OK?

OK, I looked at the files.  The one that ACR created is missing an IPTC record.  It only has XMP.  Spotlight completely ignores XMP for all file types.  Thus when PM updates the file as you have instructed it ends up having both IPTC and XMP in it.  Spotlight then sees the IPTC data and indexes your metadata.

Unless Apple starts indexing XMP data in photos or Adobe starts writing out IPTC into DNG files then you're going to have to get PM to update the IPTC data in your modified DNG files if you want them to be indexed by Spotlight.

Thanks for the samples.

-Kirk

Offline Karsten

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2008, 01:20:24 PM »
Thank you very much for your help.
Let's hope Adobe will do something about it in the future.
Best Karsten

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2008, 01:56:41 PM »
Karsten,

Thank you very much for your help.
Let's hope Adobe will do something about it in the future.

You're welcome.

I don't think Adobe will address this issue since they're trying to get away from legacy IPTC as much as possible.  It would be better for Apple to embrace XMP as it is the future of captioning.

-Kirk

Offline Karsten

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2008, 02:56:24 PM »
OK! I learn every day. So that is why Aperture can't find it. And there is no reason to look for Adobe Lightroom since they are not writing IPTC into DNG. So they can't find it either??  :(
So all there is to do is to stop using DNG and hold on to RAW-files?
And there is no way PM can do it in the future as long as Apple don't index XMP.
Do I understand everything correct?

Best Karsten ???

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2008, 04:07:20 PM »
Karsten,

OK! I learn every day. So that is why Aperture can't find it. And there is no reason to look for Adobe Lightroom since they are not writing IPTC into DNG. So they can't find it either??  :(
So all there is to do is to stop using DNG and hold on to RAW-files?
And there is no way PM can do it in the future as long as Apple don't index XMP.
Do I understand everything correct?

Well, once PM has cataloging, you'll be able to find your photos.  But until then the solution would be for Apple to index XMP data contained in DNG files as well as other RAW formats.

-Kirk