Author Topic: Vista  (Read 7994 times)

Offline foyle3

• View Profile
Vista
« on: June 08, 2008, 02:18:03 PM »
migrating to a Vista machine (s**t fast and Vista is pre-installed)- downloaded 4.4.3.3 parts of which work fine but parts of which do not work at all. Do I have to purchase 4.5 or upgrade or what ?- no reply after two days from emails so I thought I'd ask on here.  PM support has been great in the past but...

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Vista
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2008, 03:35:36 PM »
migrating to a Vista machine (s**t fast and Vista is pre-installed)- downloaded 4.4.3.3 parts of which work fine but parts of which do not work at all. Do I have to purchase 4.5 or upgrade or what ?- no reply after two days from emails so I thought I'd ask on here.  PM support has been great in the past but...

Photo Mechanic 4.5 is the first Vista compatible release of Photo Mechanic.  You can try a trial version of Photo Mechanic 4.5.3.1 from our website.  If it works well for you then yes, you'll have to upgrade.

-Kirk

Offline foyle3

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2008, 04:50:40 AM »
Thank you -  trial was disallowed as I'd availed of that facility before under XP .  Now I've got the current beta 4.5 (exp17/06/08)  which works beautifully - so is that a $90 upgrade ? 

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2008, 06:15:28 AM »
Thank you -  trial was disallowed as I'd availed of that facility before under XP .  Now I've got the current beta 4.5 (exp17/06/08)  which works beautifully - so is that a $90 upgrade ? 

If it didn't ask you for a new registration, then you're already good to go.  If it told you it needed a new registration, then yes, you would need to upgrade.

-Kirk

Offline foyle3

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2008, 01:40:06 AM »
Supplementary question Mr.Speaker.  Having got sorted with upgrade how do I import my old fields from 4.4.3.3 on an XP machine into 4.5 on Vista ?  or do I have to type 'em all in again ?  And a very dopey question - I have been assigning "category 1" "2" "3" in my own idiosyncratic manner (sports, PR, events etc)  - should I be using IPTC standard issue terms and if so where do I get the gen on such standards.  Installing a new OS seems to degrade my grey cells for about two months - sorry

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2008, 06:20:16 AM »
Supplementary question Mr.Speaker.  Having got sorted with upgrade how do I import my old fields from 4.4.3.3 on an XP machine into 4.5 on Vista ?  or do I have to type 'em all in again ?

The Preferences dialog in your old version has the capability to Export those lists of items in the popup menus to the right of each IPTC field.  You can then Import them through the Preferences dialog on your Vista machine.  You'll have to get the exported file from one system to the other either via a network copy, put it on a CF card, burn it onto a CD, etc.

Quote from: foyle3
And a very dopey question - I have been assigning "category 1" "2" "3" in my own idiosyncratic manner (sports, PR, events etc)  - should I be using IPTC standard issue terms and if so where do I get the gen on such standards.  Installing a new OS seems to degrade my grey cells for about two months - sorry

I actually don't know if there are any standards regarding the category and supplemental categories fields.

-Kirk

Offline FVlcek

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2008, 02:28:51 AM »
Yup. Directly from the IPTC commitee:

A list of categories will be maintained by a regional registry,
where available, otherwise by the provider.
Note: Use of this DataSet is Deprecated. It is likely that this
DataSet will not be included in further versions of the IIM.

So the categories are outdated. I think that IPTC advises now to use the newer fields in iptc/xmp.
I suggest you read this:
http://www.iptc.org/std/Iptc4xmpCore/1.0/documentation/Iptc4xmpCore_1.0-doc-CpanelsUserGuide_13.pdf

However, as far as I know some agencies still use the categories and supp.categories for themselves, e.g. EPA. As always, consult with your clients.

If you are captioning only for your own archive, then why not, but quite probably these will be gone from further specs of IPTC.

Offline foyle3

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2008, 09:06:17 AM »
Thanks to both.  re IPTC I'm captioning for Alamy and press and archive so it's hard to please everybody.  Not sure Alamy corresponds to photo mech but it all helps in searches on my own system.  I'd wondered what the "deprecated" phrase was about - now I sort of know.  It's great to have a working PM up and running again