Author Topic: Dual Monitor Wonderment  (Read 5303 times)

Offline dwightmccann

• View Profile
    • Dwight McCann Digital Imagery
Dual Monitor Wonderment
« on: July 03, 2008, 12:11:40 PM »
I bought a DELL 3008WFP and connected it to my DELL XPS M1730 running Windows XP with D-DVI.  I wanted to run PM slideshow on it. If I move the PM window to it and invoke slideshow the show comes up on my primary laptop screen. When I make the DELL my primary monitor, firing up a slideshow does "nothing" ... that is, there is a small pause, no noticeable change, and control returns as though I had pressed ESC.  Is this some sort of modal restriction? Sure would be nice to get a notification when their is a detectable failure. Should this work? Is there a way to make it work?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Dual Monitor Wonderment
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2008, 01:51:47 PM »
I bought a DELL 3008WFP and connected it to my DELL XPS M1730 running Windows XP with D-DVI.  I wanted to run PM slideshow on it. If I move the PM window to it and invoke slideshow the show comes up on my primary laptop screen. When I make the DELL my primary monitor, firing up a slideshow does "nothing" ... that is, there is a small pause, no noticeable change, and control returns as though I had pressed ESC.  Is this some sort of modal restriction? Sure would be nice to get a notification when their is a detectable failure. Should this work? Is there a way to make it work?

It sounds like SDL (the library we use to open up a full-screen context and present the images onto) cannot handle your setup properly.  The slideshow will always play on the 'main' screen.  It does not matter where the Slide Show dialog is located before you start the slideshow.

-Kirk

Offline dwightmccann

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2008, 01:26:38 PM »
Do you know if it can handle any 30" monitors?  I think this this is 2600x1900 but I can check.  I guess this is another reason why the modal mode may not be optimal.  Anyway, thanks for replying. Do you suppose there is a completion code from the API that could be reported rather than just returning as though a normal completion?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2008, 04:54:24 PM »
Do you know if it can handle any 30" monitors?  I think this this is 2600x1900 but I can check.  I guess this is another reason why the modal mode may not be optimal.  Anyway, thanks for replying. Do you suppose there is a completion code from the API that could be reported rather than just returning as though a normal completion?

Not offhand.

Can you try setting your screen's resolution smaller and see if that works?

-Kirk

Offline dwightmccann

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2008, 08:34:27 PM »
I'm tied up with Reba McEntire images this evening ... I'll try to reset the resolution tomorrow and see if that's an issue.

Offline dwightmccann

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2008, 11:48:34 AM »
I am very pleasantly baffled to report that after running PM through each successive resolution supported by the hardware from lowest to highest that it now operates as desired right up to 2560 x 1600.  I'm wondering if it just needed 'one more reboot' to work.