Author Topic: Structured keywords problem on Leopard  (Read 8976 times)

Offline Rotsky

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Structured keywords problem on Leopard
« on: August 16, 2008, 03:33:34 AM »
I've just started using PM 4.5.3.2 on OS X Leopard, having used it without problems on Tiger for some time. Now I'm experiencing problems with the structured keywords panel.

The first time I use the panel - no problem. Here's an example:

On subsequent uses, however, tend to suffer from a number of problems:

* child items and synonyms are not displayed - only the top-level items are displayed - here's the same selection as above after this has happened:

* sometimes not even all of the top-level items are displayed, allow there are arrows indicating where they should be and that they have child items:

After this, PM seems to become unstable. I've had several crashes - something I never encountered under Tiger.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Structured keywords problem on Leopard
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2008, 06:59:01 AM »
I've just started using PM 4.5.3.2 on OS X Leopard, having used it without problems on Tiger for some time. Now I'm experiencing problems with the structured keywords panel.

The first time I use the panel - no problem. Here's an example:

On subsequent uses, however, tend to suffer from a number of problems:

* child items and synonyms are not displayed - only the top-level items are displayed - here's the same selection as above after this has happened:

* sometimes not even all of the top-level items are displayed, allow there are arrows indicating where they should be and that they have child items:

After this, PM seems to become unstable. I've had several crashes - something I never encountered under Tiger.

Unfortunately, Leopard appears to be one of the buggiest OS releases of the entire Mac OS X lineage.  Nothing has changed in the Structured Keywords implementation in Photo Mechanic that should cause such a problem.

I'll try and reproduce it here and file a bug report with Apple.

-Kirk

Offline Rotsky

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2008, 01:23:20 AM »
Unfortunately, Leopard appears to be one of the buggiest OS releases of the entire Mac OS X lineage.  Nothing has changed in the Structured Keywords implementation in Photo Mechanic that should cause such a problem.

I'll try and reproduce it here and file a bug report with Apple.

Thanks. I've no doubt that what you say is true. It's just that rolling back from Leopard to Tiger is not an option (especially as PM is the only app I'm having problems with). Alas, my main reason for using PM is for keywording using the structured keywords panel and this problem has rendered PM entirely unusable for me.

Offline Rotsky

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2008, 01:58:33 AM »
Quick update: when I re-installed PM on my new machine, I loaded in the structured keywords file saved on my old machine. Thinking that this might be the problem (accented characters perhaps) I downloaded the latest Controlled Vocabulary CVKC file and loaded that. Same problem, so I don't think the problem lies with any of the keywords themselves.

The problem invariably occurs the second time I bring up the structured keywords panel - regardless of what's gone on in the meantime. For example, I open PM and, before doing anything else, bring up the panel. No problem. Close the panel. Open it again - problem.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2008, 06:14:04 AM »
Quick update: when I re-installed PM on my new machine, I loaded in the structured keywords file saved on my old machine. Thinking that this might be the problem (accented characters perhaps) I downloaded the latest Controlled Vocabulary CVKC file and loaded that. Same problem, so I don't think the problem lies with any of the keywords themselves.

The problem invariably occurs the second time I bring up the structured keywords panel - regardless of what's gone on in the meantime. For example, I open PM and, before doing anything else, bring up the panel. No problem. Close the panel. Open it again - problem.

Are you bringing up the Structured Keywords from the Image menu, or from within the IPTC dialogs?

-Kirk

Offline Rotsky

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2008, 06:45:11 AM »
Are you bringing up the Structured Keywords from the Image menu, or from within the IPTC dialogs?

The image menu. But since you asked, I tried the other way - ie, Image -> IPTC Stationery pad... and then bringing up the structured keywords pad from there. No problem. Could bring up the pad as many times as I wanted without getting the same issue. So I guess that's a work-around for now. Not quite as convenient for my workflow (especially for already captioned images), but certainly do-able for new images.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2008, 09:38:28 AM »

The image menu. But since you asked, I tried the other way - ie, Image -> IPTC Stationery pad... and then bringing up the structured keywords pad from there. No problem. Could bring up the pad as many times as I wanted without getting the same issue. So I guess that's a work-around for now. Not quite as convenient for my workflow (especially for already captioned images), but certainly do-able for new images.

Thanks for the additional information.  We'll concentrate on the Panel version then.

-Kirk

Offline tgray

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2008, 07:35:29 PM »
I'm having the same problem.  I call it up from the image menu.  The first time I call it up, its fine, and then it dies not the second time, but when I clear a collection of words and try to select new ones.

10.5.4 and 4.5.3.2.  I did recall this problem with 4.5.3.1 but I'm not sure if I was doing the same kind of thing then.  But I find it hard to believe that I *never* tried it...

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2008, 08:54:21 PM »
I'm having the same problem.  I call it up from the image menu.  The first time I call it up, its fine, and then it dies not the second time, but when I clear a collection of words and try to select new ones.

10.5.4 and 4.5.3.2.  I did recall this problem with 4.5.3.1 but I'm not sure if I was doing the same kind of thing then.  But I find it hard to believe that I *never* tried it...

It is a bug in Photo Mechanic 4.5.3.2.  No one caught the error until after 4.5.3.2 was released publicly.  We will have a fix in the near future.

-Kirk

Offline Rotsky

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2008, 11:59:49 PM »
It is a bug in Photo Mechanic 4.5.3.2.  No one caught the error until after 4.5.3.2 was released publicly.  We will have a fix in the near future.

Thanks for letting us know, Kirk. Look forward to the fix ... ;-)