Author Topic: Cannot/won't read CF card in camera  (Read 3598 times)

Offline sewwhatsports

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Cannot/won't read CF card in camera
« on: October 13, 2008, 08:50:39 AM »
I just got back from a trip to Yosemite and went to ingest my images.  My computer suddenly read the camera (D300) and installed drivers for it.  Now I cannot get PM to recognize my camera.  I tried to add the exact folder from the brouse option but it will not bring it up. 

I am pretty new to this program, have loved it when I could ingest my images.  Now I am just plain frustrated.  Any and all help appreciated.

Rena McClain
sewwhatsports@yahoo.com

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Cannot/won't read CF card in camera
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2008, 08:56:44 AM »
Rena,

I just got back from a trip to Yosemite and went to ingest my images.  My computer suddenly read the camera (D300) and installed drivers for it.  Now I cannot get PM to recognize my camera.  I tried to add the exact folder from the brouse option but it will not bring it up. 

I am pretty new to this program, have loved it when I could ingest my images.  Now I am just plain frustrated.  Any and all help appreciated.

What OS are you running?
What version of Photo Mechanic are you using?
Do you have a Compact Flash Card Reader device you could use instead of directly connecting your camera to the computer?

If you want more direct, interactive help with this issue, please call our support personnel at 503-537-2888.

-Kirk

Offline FVlcek

• View Profile
Re: Cannot/won't read CF card in camera
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2008, 10:10:59 AM »
I guess, if you are under Windows, that you have simply set your Nikon D300 to PTP mode. When you connect your camera to computer, it can have one of two modes, called Mass Storage and Picture Transfer Protocol.

PTP is for controlling the camera FROM computer, used by Windows and Nikon Camera Capture, that is, if you want to remotely control the camera and download the photos.

Mass Storage is such that whatever card in the camera, the computer sees it as a normal external drive. That mode is used by all card readers, external hard drives, USB flash sticks et cetera.

Just set the camera to Mass Storage (somewhere in the menus) and voila, Windows should see the camera as just another external disk drive, which then shows correctly in PM.

Or better yet, use a dedicated card reader. They are faster, more convenient and cheap.