Author Topic: FTP Detail  (Read 5457 times)

Offline RonaldFrommann

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
FTP Detail
« on: October 13, 2008, 11:52:02 AM »
Hello

I am trying to adjust the FTP function and got stuck:
Everything is fine, when the clients ftp side has just one blank folder to drop my pictures into it. My problem accured, when on the clients side of FTP there are several levels of folders and I have to get to the end of the hierarchy. I didn't manage to organize that (error message: couldn't create directory)
Also what happens, when letters as the german Ä,Ö, or Ü are used for a folders name? Does that lead to problems?
Thanks for any help

Ronald Frommann,
Hamburg, Germany

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: FTP Detail
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2008, 12:46:56 PM »
Ronald,

I am trying to adjust the FTP function and got stuck:
Everything is fine, when the clients ftp side has just one blank folder to drop my pictures into it. My problem accured, when on the clients side of FTP there are several levels of folders and I have to get to the end of the hierarchy. I didn't manage to organize that (error message: couldn't create directory)

You need to enter the hierarchy either into your Connection Settings for that client, or add the hierarchy to the Destination path in the FTP As dialog.

Quote from: RonaldFrommann
Also what happens, when letters as the german Ä,Ö, or Ü are used for a folders name? Does that lead to problems?

It is likely to cause issues since characters outside of the 7-bit ASCII range are usually undefined.  Some servers use UTF-8 (which is what PM will encode accented characters as) and some use a particular encoding like ISO-8859-1.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline RonaldFrommann

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2008, 02:19:24 PM »
Kirk,

Thanks. It's working now. But it feels a bit complicated, for you have to know in advance the destination path. Instead of just clicking through the appearing folders like in FTP programs as transmit.  Is there a chance, that this gets changed?

Best regards
Ronald

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2008, 02:39:51 PM »
Ronald,

Thanks. It's working now. But it feels a bit complicated, for you have to know in advance the destination path. Instead of just clicking through the appearing folders like in FTP programs as transmit.  Is there a chance, that this gets changed?

Do you mean that you want some way to browse the FTP server?  We don't have plans to add that capability at the moment.

Does your destination path change often?  If so, how is the client's desired destination path given to you?

-Kirk

Offline RonaldFrommann

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2008, 01:25:52 AM »
Kirk

Most clients just tell me the FTP Server name,Password and username. Sometimes you dial in and find just an empty folder for your pictures. Then it's easy. But often you find a whole bunch of folders and then you really have to serch for your destination. Then it would be perfect to see the folder structure and be able to decide where to go. Indeed destination paths change sometimes. And picture editors often don't know the details of FTP communication. So I don't want to hasssle them with asking for the right paths.
The thing is, I could also use my FTP client transmit to send the pics, but I like the feature to select jpeg or/and raw Data to be sent from PM so  I don't have to seperate them just to be able to send only the jpgs for example. PM is already very smart, but can get even smarter in some details

Best regards

Ronald

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2008, 05:45:11 AM »
Ronald,

Most clients just tell me the FTP Server name,Password and username. Sometimes you dial in and find just an empty folder for your pictures. Then it's easy. But often you find a whole bunch of folders and then you really have to serch for your destination. Then it would be perfect to see the folder structure and be able to decide where to go. Indeed destination paths change sometimes. And picture editors often don't know the details of FTP communication. So I don't want to hasssle them with asking for the right paths.
The thing is, I could also use my FTP client transmit to send the pics, but I like the feature to select jpeg or/and raw Data to be sent from PM so  I don't have to seperate them just to be able to send only the jpgs for example. PM is already very smart, but can get even smarter in some details

I suppose then you could use a different FTP client application to find the correct path and then use that path with Photo Mechanic.  Not an integrated solution but it's all I have to offer at the moment.

-Kirk