Author Topic: Ingesting predetermined folders from card  (Read 2677 times)

Offline nmf

• View Profile
Ingesting predetermined folders from card
« on: October 31, 2008, 09:22:06 AM »
I'm trying to set up a Snapshot that allows me to ingest two predetermined folders and the files in each from several on a memory card (eg folders B and D from folders A,B,C,D,E). I have managed to Ingest the files but they are all saved into one folder whereas I need to keep them separated as on the card or renumbered.

Am I doing something wrong (likely :-) or is this just not possible ?

Thanks for your help

Nigel

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Ingesting predetermined folders from card
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2008, 10:43:09 AM »
Nigel,

I'm trying to set up a Snapshot that allows me to ingest two predetermined folders and the files in each from several on a memory card (eg folders B and D from folders A,B,C,D,E). I have managed to Ingest the files but they are all saved into one folder whereas I need to keep them separated as on the card or renumbered.

Am I doing something wrong (likely :-) or is this just not possible ?

You need to tell Ingest to preserve the folder structure from the source disk.  In the "Source Directory Structure:" popup menu, change the selection to "keep separate source folder names only".

That should do it.

-Kirk

Offline nmf

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2008, 04:46:00 AM »
Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately this only seems to result in the contents of the second folder to be copied over.

I have attached a grab of the Ingest window as I have it set up in case you can see where I am going wrong. The "Copy Photos : into folder with name" section is set up in response to  this dialog "When ingesting more than one folder, you must either choose to merge the folders into the same destination, or choose to copy into folder with name and auto increment the destination folder suffix."

Bizarrely somehow when playing with the settings I did manage to transfer the contents of both required folders but the images were all copied into the same folders and those images which had been previously renamed reverted back to their original filenames.

Whilst not ideal, having all the files copied into the same folder would be a start. However in such an instance the images need to retain the filenames as on the card being ingested.

Thank you for your help.

Nigel

Mac OSX 10.5.5 /  Photo Mechanic 4.5.3.2

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: November 04, 2008, 05:04:48 AM by nmf »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2008, 05:35:19 AM »
Nigel,

Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately this only seems to result in the contents of the second folder to be copied over.

I have attached a grab of the Ingest window as I have it set up in case you can see where I am going wrong. The "Copy Photos : into folder with name" section is set up in response to  this dialog "When ingesting more than one folder, you must either choose to merge the folders into the same destination, or choose to copy into folder with name and auto increment the destination folder suffix."

Bizarrely somehow when playing with the settings I did manage to transfer the contents of both required folders but the images were all copied into the same folders and those images which had been previously renamed reverted back to their original filenames.

Whilst not ideal, having all the files copied into the same folder would be a start. However in such an instance the images need to retain the filenames as on the card being ingested.

Thank you for your help.

It looks like you're doing a lot of work to your images directly on your card and then trying to transfer the edited images to your computer.  We STRONGLY suggest that you NEVER edit the images on your card.  Ingest them first.  Then edit them.  If any program editing the images on the card causes a problem with the format of the card then you can lose all of the images on the card.

OK, now on to your issue.  Given the screen shot showing the two folders:  EDIT and work_copy, what would be the result you're trying to get at the destination?  And just for informational purposes, are there any other folders on the card besides the two folders you're showing in your screen shot?

If at the DCIM level there is only EDIT and work_copy, then all you would have to do to get EDIT and work_copy at the destination would be to select the DCIM folder for Ingest and not merge the folders.

HTH,

-Kirk