Author Topic: IPTC problems - Spanish language  (Read 4797 times)

Offline matyrojo666

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
IPTC problems - Spanish language
« on: October 31, 2008, 10:23:41 AM »
Hello all
I use the latest version of PM for Windows.
My language is spanish and I have problems with ITPC protocol.
I use "acentos" like á é í ó ú; or other characters like Ñ / ñ. Then when I see IPTC details in Photoshop or in PM, those characters appear changed like this

Construcción --> ConstrucciÓn

All the same, sometimes those "acentos" dissapiar and the word is not complete

Construcción --> Construccin

I need to write my IPTC protocol FINE because I send my pictures to other people or use Coppermine and have the same problem.
Which are the best configuration to show IPTC in english and spanish with no problems?

Thanks!
Matías

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: IPTC problems - Spanish language
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2008, 10:50:31 AM »
Matías,

I use the latest version of PM for Windows.
My language is spanish and I have problems with ITPC protocol.
I use "acentos" like á é í ó ú; or other characters like Ñ / ñ. Then when I see IPTC details in Photoshop or in PM, those characters appear changed like this

Construcción --> ConstrucciÓn

All the same, sometimes those "acentos" dissapiar and the word is not complete

Construcción --> Construccin

I need to write my IPTC protocol FINE because I send my pictures to other people or use Coppermine and have the same problem.
Which are the best configuration to show IPTC in english and spanish with no problems?

What is the "Default IPTC Encoding" popup menu set to in the IPTC/XMP tab of the Photo Mechanic preferences dialog?

Using accented characters in IPTC is problematic since the IPTC standard does not allow for anything but 7-bit ASCII unless you use UTF-8 Unicode.  7-bit ASCII does not include accented characters in its table.

Basically you need to use the character set that all of your expected programs are using.  Unfortunately this is not an easy thing to determine.  You'll just have to test with a caption containing all of your needed characters in it and use different encodings until you find the one that works for you.  You could use UTF-8 Unicode, but Photoshop (all versions at this point) do not interpret UTF-8 properly.

The only straightforward way is to use XMP which is always UTF-8 Unicode.  Most modern applications will use XMP metadata correctly, including Photo Mechanic, Photoshop, Bridge, and Lightroom.

-Kirk

Offline matyrojo666

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2008, 10:57:23 AM »
Thank you
So I´ll try to write my captions without accented words  :(

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2008, 11:27:18 AM »
Thank you
So I´ll try to write my captions without accented words  :(

Why give up so easily?  The testing to find the correct encoding isn't all that difficult.

-Kirk

Offline Neil Danton

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2008, 11:31:16 AM »
Hi Matías

As Kirk says, you will need to experiment by captioning files with various different Default IPTC encodings set in the IPTC/XMP preferences of Photo Mechanic

I can't offer much help with a specific one for you, but I had problems with captions containing Irish words with accents (much smaller problem than in Spanish, only applies to vowels which can have an acute, like French aigu accent - á é í ó ú.

I found that when captioning with "Write IPTC as Unicode" set, nearly all picture-desks could read the captions - but when images were uploaded to Photoshelter the accents would come out as a? e? i? o? u?, which certainly makes it difficult to search for them afterwards!!!  This is because Photoshelter can't yet read 8-bit (it will happen at some time in the future I'm told)

The one that works for me is Mac Roman - not Latin, that was 10 times worse!!

Using XMP is fine, except a lot of places I send images to - newspapers - can't read XMP, their system file browsers are too old, they have to have IPTC

Keep experimenting  - you might find one that works for you

Neil

Offline miguelr

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2008, 08:24:41 PM »
Set to Mac Roman.....I write all my captions in Spanish, without any problems. Accents (á.,é,í,ó,ú) and ñ are reproduce correctly.

I use Windows and I have an English keyboard (I live in USA) and I switch between (EN) and (SP), with the shift+alt keys.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: October 31, 2008, 08:30:49 PM by miguelr »