Author Topic: Multiple variables in caption field  (Read 3181 times)

Offline masplin

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Multiple variables in caption field
« on: January 07, 2009, 12:41:24 PM »
sorry if this is an idiotic question, but just downloaded the software and trying to work out if you can add multiple variables in the IPTC Stationary pad?  Specifically I want to add location, city & country from my IPTC data to the end of all my captions.  I tried the manual but no joy and all the obvious key strokes.  I can add "location" and then I can't click on variables anymore.  Sorry for dim question.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Multiple variables in caption field
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2009, 02:18:45 PM »
sorry if this is an idiotic question, but just downloaded the software and trying to work out if you can add multiple variables in the IPTC Stationary pad?  Specifically I want to add location, city & country from my IPTC data to the end of all my captions.  I tried the manual but no joy and all the obvious key strokes.  I can add "location" and then I can't click on variables anymore.  Sorry for dim question.

Clicking on the Variables button doesn't bring up the Variables panel again?

Yes, you can add multiple variables to your caption field.  The other variables are {city} and {country}.

-Kirk

Offline masplin

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2009, 01:42:26 AM »
I click in say caption filed, click variable, select city, double click. {city} appears in caption field.  Click on Variables and nothing happens. Even if I go to a differnt field I can't click variables. Pretty sure this isn't the right behaviour.  sounds like I should just be able to clcik variable and double click some thing else and create a string within single/multiple fields?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2009, 06:54:29 AM »
I click in say caption filed, click variable, select city, double click. {city} appears in caption field.  Click on Variables and nothing happens. Even if I go to a differnt field I can't click variables. Pretty sure this isn't the right behaviour.  sounds like I should just be able to clcik variable and double click some thing else and create a string within single/multiple fields?

Correct.

What version of Photo Mechanic are you running?
What OS are you running?  (Mac OS X or Windows)

-Kirk

Offline masplin

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2009, 07:06:51 AM »
Version 4.5.4 vista Home premium.

Oddly if I save a stationary with just city, clear and create enw one with just location, click the append box and load the city one I get {location){city} so have been able to create the string I want but very long winded way of doing it and clearly not the right way!

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2009, 07:26:03 AM »
Version 4.5.4 vista Home premium.

Oddly if I save a stationary with just city, clear and create enw one with just location, click the append box and load the city one I get {location){city} so have been able to create the string I want but very long winded way of doing it and clearly not the right way!

I see the problem now.  The Variables panel isn't coming forward.  It's still there, ready and waiting, behind the IPTC dialog.  If you move it to the side just a bit, you can click on it to bring it forward.

If we make another update to 4.5.x then I'll fix that.  Otherwise the fix will be in version 4.6.

-Kirk

Offline masplin

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2009, 07:29:12 AM »
ah silly me at least I'm not going mad. thank you