Author Topic: How many images?  (Read 4524 times)

Offline Davpino

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
How many images?
« on: January 25, 2009, 07:02:51 AM »
Hi all!

A little question:
I would like to put all my images (Nikon NEF) into ONE folder. For easier searching of images.
Right now I'am sorting images into year and month-folders. At this way I can't search all the pictures.

What's about PMs performance, when having many NEF files in one folder? About 50.000 NEFs!

For the future I'am waiting for the cataloging-feature in PM. :) Any news?

And, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE offer us a german localization! Is it difficult to localize?! Let us help you! Send us the language-files and we will do it for you! Don't you think this would make many people happy?

Greetings!

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: How many images?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2009, 07:12:46 AM »
A little question:
I would like to put all my images (Nikon NEF) into ONE folder. For easier searching of images.
Right now I'am sorting images into year and month-folders. At this way I can't search all the pictures.

What's about PMs performance, when having many NEF files in one folder? About 50.000 NEFs!

I would not suggest doing that.  We have tested Photo Mechanic with 30,000 images in a single folder and it worked OK.  Not extremely well, but OK.

You can open folders 'recursively' in PM so you could always open your Yearly folder and its sub-folders into a single contact sheet tab and then do your searching.  Or get something like Picasa from Google which is free and will allow you to search your entire hard drive.

Quote from: Davpino
For the future I'am waiting for the cataloging-feature in PM. :) Any news?

We're still working on it.

And, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE offer us a german localization! Is it difficult to localize?! Let us help you! Send us the language-files and we will do it for you! Don't you think this would make many people happy?

While we have made progress in getting Photo Mechanic capable of being localized, that work is not complete.  But even when that work is complete and Photo Mechanic could be localized, localization is an on-going concern since we're always adding features to Photo Mechanic.  So we would need to have either staff on-board or use a localization service for that work.

-Kirk

Offline Davpino

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2009, 12:10:19 PM »
Quote from: Kirk Baker
I would not suggest doing that.  We have tested Photo Mechanic with 30,000 images in a single folder and it worked OK.  Not extremely well, but OK.
Thanks for your honest answer.

You can open folders 'recursively' in PM so you could always open your Yearly folder and its sub-folders into a single contact sheet tab and then do your searching.
How that? I haven't found an option like this.

While we have made progress in getting Photo Mechanic capable of being localized, that work is not complete.  But even when that work is complete and Photo Mechanic could be localized, localization is an on-going concern since we're always adding features to Photo Mechanic.  So we would need to have either staff on-board or use a localization service for that work.

I am sure you will find enough people, who would like to help you with the localization business; I am one of them, for example. Even if it's an on-going concern.
Why don't you give it a try? Nobody wants you to waste too much money for localization service!
;)

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2009, 01:37:50 PM »
You can open folders 'recursively' in PM so you could always open your Yearly folder and its sub-folders into a single contact sheet tab and then do your searching.
How that? I haven't found an option like this.

Right-click on a folder in the Navigator and choose "Open Folder and Subfolders in a..." from the contextual menu.

I am sure you will find enough people, who would like to help you with the localization business; I am one of them, for example. Even if it's an on-going concern.
Why don't you give it a try? Nobody wants you to waste too much money for localization service!
;)

Send me a personal message about your services.

-Kirk