Author Topic: Viewing subfolders  (Read 10768 times)

Offline shot

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Viewing subfolders
« on: July 11, 2006, 02:24:55 PM »
Greetings!

Just evaluating PM at the moment.

Is there an option to automatically drill down to add all subfolders to a contact sheet? I have a parent folder "2006" containing month subfolders "01", "02", etc, and within those subbfolders I have day subfolders "01","02"..."31". I'd like to be able to view all my "2006" images. I realise I can use the submenu to "Open in current Contact Sheet", but that's an awful lot of clicking!

Thanks!

Offline shot

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Viewing subfolders
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2006, 03:17:16 PM »
Additional to my query above:

I'm also finding that "Remember folders" is not remembered between PM sessions: if I quit PM and relaunch, then click on the "Remembered" folder in the Favourites pane, nothing at all is displayed.

PM 4.4.3.1
MacOS 10.3.9

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2006, 04:10:42 PM »
Is there an option to automatically drill down to add all subfolders to a contact sheet? I have a parent folder "2006" containing month subfolders "01", "02", etc, and within those subbfolders I have day subfolders "01","02"..."31". I'd like to be able to view all my "2006" images. I realise I can use the submenu to "Open in current Contact Sheet", but that's an awful lot of clicking!

Agreed.  No there is no way to view recursively.  But if you were using Mac OS X 10.4 you could use our integrated Spotlight search to create a search that would show all photos taken in the year 2006.

-Kirk

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2006, 04:11:51 PM »
I'm also finding that "Remember folders" is not remembered between PM sessions: if I quit PM and relaunch, then click on the "Remembered" folder in the Favourites pane, nothing at all is displayed.

Hmm.  Is there no warning message either?

I'm guessing this is a 10.3.x thing.  I'll look into it.

Thanks for the heads up.

-Kirk

Offline shot

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2006, 05:00:43 PM »

Thanks for the heads up.

-Kirk

No warning message. Is it possible to save the Remembered folders?

I also have a problem when launching with the Navigator opening various folders to some hierarchy that I may have used in the previous session. I've tried collapsing all folders when quitting to no avail. I see in a previous post you recommend right-clicking and refreshing the Navigator. I can (Mac) control-click on the folders to refresh them, but cannot refresh the Navigator itself.

Thanks!

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2006, 05:20:58 PM »

Thanks for the heads up.

You do have to double-click it to get it to open itself.  Did you double-click it or did you single click it?

Quote from: shot
I also have a problem when launching with the Navigator opening various folders to some hierarchy that I may have used in the previous session. I've tried collapsing all folders when quitting to no avail. I see in a previous post you recommend right-clicking and refreshing the Navigator. I can (Mac) control-click on the folders to refresh them, but cannot refresh the Navigator itself.

That's for the Windows version which has been far more problematic than the Mac version Navigator.  The Mac version does not attempt to maintain the state of open folders between launches.  What it does do is expand to show folders that are currently being viewed in the contact sheet.  So for instance if you drag and drop a folder onto the Photo Mechanic icon in the Dock, the folder will be opened and the Navigator will expand the full path to that folder and make the last folder of the path visible (it will scroll if necessary.)

Is that what you are referring to?

-Kirk

Offline shot

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2006, 06:50:42 PM »

Thanks for the heads up.

You do have to double-click it to get it to open itself.  Did you double-click it or did you single click it?

That's for the Windows version which has been far more problematic than the Mac version Navigator.  The Mac version does not attempt to maintain the state of open folders between launches.  What it does do is expand to show folders that are currently being viewed in the contact sheet.  So for instance if you drag and drop a folder onto the Photo Mechanic icon in the Dock, the folder will be opened and the Navigator will expand the full path to that folder and make the last folder of the path visible (it will scroll if necessary.)

-Kirk

I did double-click to try and re-open the remembered folder to no avail.

As far as the hierarchy thing goes, I see what's happening. I have the prefs set to "Open last contact sheet" (which was my "remembered" folder of all my photos from 2006), so on launch PM is trying to open this "remembered" folder. The Navigator is expanding the path to "2006", but as PM isn't remembering my "remembered" folders (!) nothing is being displayed even though the contact sheet window title says "2006"

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2006, 08:15:18 PM »

Thanks for the heads up.

As far as the hierarchy thing goes, I see what's happening. I have the prefs set to "Open last contact sheet" (which was my "remembered" folder of all my photos from 2006), so on launch PM is trying to open this "remembered" folder. The Navigator is expanding the path to "2006", but as PM isn't remembering my "remembered" folders (!) nothing is being displayed even though the contact sheet window title says "2006"

I would like for you to send me your "Remembered folder".  Contact me privately and I'll explain how to find it on disk and where to send it to.

As for the second part, since your 2006 folder has no photos in it (I'm guessing it has nothing but sub-folders) it has nothing to show.  The option to open last contact sheet on startup only reopens the first folder of a set of folders if the last contact sheet was a multi-folder contact sheet.

The way you use the Remember folders... command is to open all of the folders that you want to view into a single contact sheet.  Then choose the Remember folders... command.  Give it a memorable name like "All of 2006" and click OK.  Then the Favorites will contain this new multi-folder favorite.

Later, you can double-click on the multi-folder favorite to reopen all of the folders.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline shot

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2006, 09:29:00 PM »

Thanks for the heads up.

I would like for you to send me your "Remembered folder".  Contact me privately and I'll explain how to find it on disk and where to send it to.

As for the second part, since your 2006 folder has no photos in it (I'm guessing it has nothing but sub-folders) it has nothing to show.  The option to open last contact sheet on startup only reopens the first folder of a set of folders if the last contact sheet was a multi-folder contact sheet.

The way you use the Remember folders... command is to open all of the folders that you want to view into a single contact sheet.  Then choose the Remember folders... command.  Give it a memorable name like "All of 2006" and click OK.  Then the Favorites will contain this new multi-folder favorite.

Later, you can double-click on the multi-folder favorite to reopen all of the folders.

HTH,

-Kirk

Thanks Kirk. I basically just need to give my Remembered folder a different name from the default one presented in the "Save mulitiple folders" dialog. Saving it as the default ("2006") means that on re-launch PM will only look for individual images in the Finder folder "2006". Saving it as "All of 2006" means PM does indeed remember all the folders in the multiple folder set.

It does seem odd to save a set of Multiple folders with the default name and then have it not behave as a set of Multiple folders because of the default name! Could there be a need to differentiate between "Favorites", i.e. with contents defined in the Finder, and "Remembered", i.e. with contents defined by the user?

Offline soren steffen

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2006, 01:00:14 AM »
I wish you wouldn't quote - quote - quote all the messages ::)

In the rss feed I can only see all the quotes :P  :D :D