Author Topic: International (swedish) characters  (Read 4582 times)

Offline andersv

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
International (swedish) characters
« on: May 07, 2009, 08:43:25 PM »
Hi Ive noticed that Photomechanics doesnt works well with swedish characters in some cases. We are using Windows Vista SP1, and in some cases the its inpossible to open or save files or folders that containts Å Ä Ö or å ä ö. ive attatched some screendumps as an example.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: International (swedish) characters
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2009, 08:46:29 PM »
Hi Ive noticed that Photomechanics doesnt works well with swedish characters in some cases. We are using Windows Vista SP1, and in some cases the its inpossible to open or save files or folders that containts Å Ä Ö or å ä ö. ive attatched some screendumps as an example.

Please post JPEG screenshots.  Not Microsoft Word documents.

-Kirk

Offline andersv

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2009, 08:54:01 PM »
i uploaded a word document because it was easier to explain but give it another try....

I Wrote: File with swedish ÅÄÖ åäö.PMX
Result name: File with swedish ÅÄÖ åäö.PMX

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline andersv

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2009, 08:56:09 PM »
the wrong handling isnt everywhere, as i show with my screenshots, but some functions doesnt work, for example when trying to import a settingsfile that are in a folder that contains swedish characters, or have a name with such character. I guess the problem is on other places than just import and export. What worries me most are ftp-handling, havent have time to test that yet...

Offline andersv

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2009, 09:13:33 PM »
Now i have tested uploading a file named with swedish characters. It has the same error as the export-dialog.

A file named ÅÄÖ åäö.JPG becomes åäö ÅÄÖ.JPG on our FTP-server.

I can live with the export-function is strange and so... even if its not good, but getting mangled characters that our users will notice when work is not so good.... :-)

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2009, 06:39:40 AM »
Now i have tested uploading a file named with swedish characters. It has the same error as the export-dialog.

I can live with the export-function is strange and so... even if its not good, but getting mangled characters that our users will notice when work is not so good.... :-)

FTP servers generally don't support accented characters at all.  There is no specification in the FTP protocol for accented characters (no way to tell the FTP server what character set to use.)

I'll see what I can do to solve the issue with the Preferences Export function.

-Kirk

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2009, 09:13:22 AM »

FTP servers generally don't support accented characters at all.  There is no specification in the FTP protocol for accented characters (no way to tell the FTP server what character set to use.)

I'll see what I can do to solve the issue with the Preferences Export function.

-Kirk

I looked into the issue with the Preferences Export function.  The PMX file is really a Zip archive with the preferences stored within.  The Zip library (zlib) does not support Unicode characters properly and that is why the problem is occurring.  Fixing the issue is not trivial.

-Kirk